A Poem For a Rainy Day

As I mentioned here one happy and unexpected outcome of my participation on the MBSR (mindfulness-based stress reduction) teacher training course is engaging with poetry once more.  Something I haven’t really done since my days studying A Level English Literature.

At Saturday’s training we were read a poem by Peter Morgan called Sometimes it Rains.  It struck me this morning, as we were hot-footing it through the puddles on the school run, that it would be a very apt poem to share today.

lights water blur rain

Photo by Bob Clark on Pexels.com

Sometimes It Rains

When we were hoping for sunshine.

Try and escape the rain
And you will be wet, and tired.
Try and fight the rain
And you will be wet, and angry.
Be still, breathe, and accept the rain
And you will be wet, and calm.
In the calmness you might just remember that
The rain will pass.
Oh, and that you’re carrying an umbrella.

What strikes you about the messages behind this poem?
I’d love to hear your thoughts.

1. November 24, 2018 / 12:31 pm

Love this poem and very true. A lot of times when we lose our calmness we make matters worse and not recognize how to properly deal with things. When the going gets tough, it’s most important to be calm to help us see things more clearly. #thesatsesh

2. November 24, 2018 / 1:43 pm

Keep calm … but remember an umbrella is no good in the wind, so make sure to have the right clothes for the rain too! #thesatsesh

November 30, 2018 / 9:25 pm

Good point!

3. November 24, 2018 / 6:36 pm

Great poem, no matter how much we think about things were still wet, so may as well be positive #thesatsesh

4. November 24, 2018 / 8:16 pm

So true and applies to so many aspects of life. Lovely post for autumn and as the seasons change again

November 30, 2018 / 9:24 pm

5. November 25, 2018 / 7:16 am

It’s true, isn’t it, that sometimes, the rain in our eyes blinds us so much that we forget we have ways of dealing with it. Nice poem, thanks for sharing. #thesatsesh

6. November 25, 2018 / 8:31 am

Beautiful descriptive words, I love poetry as a form of expression X #thesatsesh

7. November 25, 2018 / 2:45 pm

Being calm is so important. My colleagues often remark on my calmness at work. Working with children it is a technique I am constantly working on and yes I do loose my cool sometimes but even then it is measured. I think having a son with ASD made the need for calmness and consistency more important.

8. November 27, 2018 / 10:39 am

Being one with the moment. Acknowledging what is happening but not over reacting. #thesatsesh

9. November 27, 2018 / 8:26 pm

#thesatsesh …that i should probably own an umbrella at some point in my adult life. 🙂

Its a lovely poem to remind us to stay present and that our perspective/reaction can change how we feel, even when the circumstances stay unaltered

10. November 29, 2018 / 8:08 pm

To me, this poem, which is beautiful, reminds me to be present, accepting, and mindful. Really beautiful. #thesatsesh xoxo

November 30, 2018 / 9:21 pm

Exactly xx

11. December 1, 2018 / 10:30 am

I generally really sympathize with the idea, that it’s not what happens to you which dictates your happiness (or lack thereof), but rather how you deal with it. And I work hard on choosing happiness.
    However, I think it’s important to remember that a person who is battling depression is fighting physiological aspects in their brain, they cannot just choose happy and change attitude to stroll out of their depression. I’m sure it can be of help, once they’re out of that darkest place where they can see no light in any direction, but before then, telling them that it’s somehow their choice to be miserable is probably not helpful, right? They don’t have an umbrella. They’re standing out there in the freezing cold rain, and unless they get a helping hand they’ll get hypothermia.
    That said, I like the poem, and as I said initially, I generally like it’s message too xx
    #thesatsesh (apologies for my late commenting)

December 6, 2018 / 3:03 pm

Oh yes Malin I most certainly agree with you – I never thought of this poem for people in a depressive episode – I know only too well how frustrating it can be to be told to ‘look on the bright side’ when you are feeling very, very low. I just saw this poem as a bit of fun really and how negative habitual thinking can be easy to slip into even when people are feeling generally emotionally robust. Best, Hayley xx