It’s about seeing the extraordinary in the ordinary.
My last ‘Point Shoot’ post captured some of the special moments of the summer before the school holidays began. This one is a record of some of the things I took a moment to appreciate on our August holiday in France.
- We had a very quick and uneventful journey down to Dover so we were able to get an early ferry.
- There was lots of excitement on the ferry as it was the first time the three children had been on one!
- We enjoyed the fresh air and summer sunshine on deck.
- Fun in the hotel swimming pool and playground when we arrived late afternoon.
- Watching the children all playing happily together in the playground after breakfast – they invented a Pirate game together.
- Finding our pitch at the campsite to be shady and pleasant.
- Enjoying the campsite’s lazy river with all the children.
- The cuppa that I drank sitting outside on a beautiful and peaceful morning surrounded by woodland and listening to the birds.
- Our boy teaching twin 2 how to play badminton.
- Swimming as a family – the girls becoming more and more confident especially twin 1.
- 20 minutes of quiet time after lunch. Twin 1 and 2 cuddling up to me as we lay outside reading my magazine together.
- Playing badminton with the eldest.
- A beautiful evening sat outside chatting to the hubby with candles ligas the kids slept.
- Listening to the children singing ‘A million Dreams’ together from the Greatest Showman soundtrack as we drove along next to the Loire.
- Exploring beautiful Blois and the interesting and enchanting chateau.
- Yummy crepes! Big smiles from kids when the waitress brought them their food!
- Watching twin 2 make friends in the playground and on the bouncy castle – holding hands with an older girl as they bounced!
- Cheese and wine in the evening and the eldest coming to have a cuddle and sitting on my knee reading his book.
- A good night’s sleep – a rarity for me!
- A slow start to the day; waking before everyone else and doing a mindfulness sounds and thoughts practice with the sounds of the campsite around me. It ending with the whistle of the kettle on the stove.
- Enjoying the warm, sweet tea made for me by the hubby and drinking it sat outside whilst watching the campsite waking up. My boy reading next to me and listening to the sounds of nature – the leaves rustling, birds singing.
- Feeling the warmth of the sunshine whilst having a morning dip in pool – swimming 5 lengths by myself and then playing with the family in the water.
- The eldest actually volunteering for drying up duty!
- Observing a beautiful sunset.
- Warm, freshly baked croissants from the Boulangerie.
- Noticing twin 1 pop a protective arm round twin 2 when they were having a cuddle in bed first thing.
- The twins pretending to make their own BBQ out of leaves and sticks while the hubby was cooking in the evening.
- A bright sunny morning.
- A welcome takeaway pizza tea that everyone devoured.
- Twin 1 helping me get the pizzas and holding my hand chatting to me as we walked there.
- A glass of chilled rose wine.
- An evening stroll and a lemon cheesecake icecream.
- Our eldest playing hide and seek, north, east, south, west, below the knee and the yes/no game with the girls after dinner.
- Two colleagues texting me about A Level results and recognising the hard work I’m put into helping the students
- The fifth day of the kids being screen free and no complaints at all!!!
- Listening to the eldest reading ‘Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls 2’ to the girls while I made sandwiches for the homeward journey.
- A lovely, big and sloppy morning kiss from twin 2.
- Morning cuddles from our boy and twin 1.
- The hubby calmly driving us round the Paris perepherique so we got to admire the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Seine and the Sacre Coeur.
- A very calm ferry crossing with fabulous views of France and England.
I’d love to hear about your summer holidays.
What were your special moments?