When Doing a Grounding Practice may be a Wise Choice

I’m conscious I may have already lost many of my readers with the words ‘grounding practice’ in the title of this post.  This may sound a bit too much of a ‘serious’ post for some.

But please bear with me.  Hopefully I can allay your fears that I’m not going all ‘woo-woo’ on you.  All that is meant by a ‘grounding practice’ is bringing the attention to something specific and being aware of it from one moment to the next.

Feet with toenails painted orange walking on stones on a beach

Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

It may be as simple as noticing the breath.  Where you feel the breath most vividly at that time.  Following the rise and the fall of each in and out.

It may be as simple as noticing the feet.  Sensing the feet in contact with the floor, exploring the sensations of the feet in the socks or shoes, the temperature and so on.

It may be as simple as noticing particular sounds that are around and using them as an anchor to the present.  Exploring the pitch, rhythm, volume of the sounds without judgment.

So when is a good time to ground ourselves? It’s in a moment of BIFI.

BIFI stands for:

Boredom

Impatience

Frustration

Irritation

So next time you’re feeling bored, impatient, frustrated or irritated try and notice your breath, your feet or the sounds around you.  Bring a child-like curiosity to your observations and see if the practice helps at all.

I’d love to hear your thoughts.

1. June 16, 2018 / 3:01 pm

I will sometimes do this with my students and writing. Have them be hyper noticed and then write about it. It is good practice for daily living. #thatsatsesh

June 16, 2018 / 8:50 pm

Oooh yes do! xx

2. June 16, 2018 / 4:40 pm

Hi. People are always amazed at how powerful the breath is when it comes to calming and grounding yourself. #thesatsesh

3. June 16, 2018 / 8:48 pm

its amazing when a moment of mindfulness can do and how it can change your mood for the better. Thanks for the reminder. THese things are always easy when you feel good and not so easy when you are BIFI but i will keep trying because i know it works #thesatsesh

June 16, 2018 / 8:49 pm

Exactly Berni! Thanks so much and keep at it xx

4. June 19, 2018 / 7:24 pm

#thesatsesh I reckon I spend about 70% of my life without shoes on. If I’m teaching – off, if I’m at my desk – off. As soon as I get home – away! Grounding is a huge deal, not serious, as crucial to us as breathing.

June 19, 2018 / 7:44 pm

Yes! You are so right – and a good call to kick off those shoes when you can xx

5. June 20, 2018 / 3:45 pm

So important to check in with yourself. I tend to notice my feet tingle a lot and my stomach is tender in the middle of the night. #thesatsesh