5 Reasons To Celebrate The Snow

As I watched the snow coming down today it struck me just how meditative it can be to observe it falling and settling.  Watching it for a moment or two from the window at school certainly encouraged me to be mindful.  I was also reminded of a children’s poem I read with my little ones sometimes:

Big Snow

Snow says “Hush!”

to the city,

“Hush your clang

and din!”

Wraps the streets

in quiet

And tucks the city in.

And yet so much of the TV and radio has been filled with the negatives about the weather.  Snow as, at best an inconvenience, and at worst a hazard.  Yes, it is tragic when accidents happen and people suffer but snow is also a great bringer of joy.  You only have to see and hear the excitement in the children’s voices when they talk about snowfall to know how special it is.

Manor Houe Gardens, Sout-East London covered in a dusting of snow

So here are 5 reasons to celebrate the snow:

• It’s an excellent opportunity to see the world through a child’s eyes – with wonder and awe.  With a ‘beginner’s mind’ so to speak.  Even a few flakes is enough for many of us to remember the excitement we felt as children when it began to snow.   And it is very positive to have this reminder to see the world with a childlike curiosity and excitement whenever possible.
  • Snow reminds us that the natural world is bigger and more phenomenal than we can ever be and this is ultimately reassuring.  Just as looking up at the sky (as beautifully explained by Nicole from The Mum Reviews here) can remind us that our day-to-day mistakes and failings are pretty insignificant when compared to the massive expanse above us, snow has a similar effect too.  You sent a clumsily worded email?  You were a couple of minutes late to that meeting?  So what, look what ‘mother nature’ can do!  These minor issues really doesn’t matter in the whole scheme of things.
  • A dusting of snow can bring beauty to even the most ugly of places.  Driving through south-east London today made me appreciate just how pretty the snow can make anywhere look.
  • It also brings a feeling of calm and stillness to even the busiest of places.  The snow forces people to slow down, and even rest if they have to postpone plans.   In this day and age that isn’t always a bad thing.
  • And finally the snow can help families and neighbourhoods get outdoors and play together.  The shrieks of excitement coming from the local park today were lovely to hear and were testament to this.  Fun stuff like snowball fights, sledging, building snowmen and making snow angels are all more enjoyable done in groups.

Apart from the fabulous sport of skiing which I have written about before – are there any reasons to celebrate snow that  I’ve missed? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

The Pramshed
Link-up-badge-ABloggingGoodTime

Lucy At Home

1. March 1, 2018 / 8:47 am

I love the snow but I think it is because having always lived in Australia it has always retained its magic for me. #ABloggingGoodTime

2. March 2, 2018 / 2:48 pm

I have been feeling a bit negative nancy about the snow not least because it is causing me to be inside alot with two crazy two year olds. They are liked caged animals! Your post reminded me of the good bits. Now off into the cold we go… #blogcrush

March 2, 2018 / 8:09 pm

I know it is tough especially with the really little ones who can’t be out very long in it before they get whingey. Pleased it helped a little though and good luck! xx

3. March 3, 2018 / 7:15 am

I sat and watched the snow falling for ages the other day before I even realised what I was doing. Normally I’d never give myself that much time to just sit and watch something but I was hooked. My post this week is also on things I love about the snow. My two favourites are seeing how much my little girl enjoys it and the fact that it brings some amazing superheroes out, helping others in their time of need. At a time when most of the news is bad I love seeing these amazing acts of kindness. It restores my faith in humanity! #thesatsesh

March 4, 2018 / 3:45 pm

You are so true about the amazing acts of kindness. That is a lovely part of the snow too. So pleased you’ve enjoyed it too and looking forward to reading your posts. xx

4. March 3, 2018 / 8:37 am

It is so exciting when it snows; will it/won’t it… then you wake up… peek round the curtain and… SNOW! Yes, I love it. I did find it a pain when we had tiny babies as they couldn’t really enjoy it and it was difficult getting out, but now the kids are older, it is pure joy! #thesatsesh

5. emptynestmummy
    March 3, 2018 / 8:55 am

I’m going to get us all wellied and gloved up now and go out to enjoy the snow. And I’m going to make sure I slow myself down to enjoy it with wonder and awe. Thanks for #thesatsesh

6. March 3, 2018 / 9:04 am

I have loved the snow this week. I turn into such a big kid as, like you say, seeing the snow fall brings back all those exciting childhood memories. Me and my baby boy stood in the door way and watched the snow fall for ages the other day and it really was beautiful to just stand in the quiet with him, both admiring what Mother Nature can do xx #thesatsesh

• March 4, 2018 / 8:13 am

Back again from #BlogCrush , thanks for linking up lovely xx

7. March 3, 2018 / 10:04 am

Lovely to read about the positives of snow (for a change!) #thesatsesh

8. March 3, 2018 / 11:15 am

So true, I love how everyone helps each other when the weathers bad. A bit like a ‘war effort’ from back in the day. I love to be warm though, snuggled up inside and watching it fall through the window. Beautiful. #thesatsesh

March 4, 2018 / 3:42 pm

Yes hearing about people driving NHS staff in etc is so heartwarming and sounds like a ‘blitz spirit’ mentality definitely! xx

9. March 3, 2018 / 1:19 pm

I love this post. I was sat in traffic on the way home from work on Wednesday and looked up at the sky. It was blue even though it was snowing and I could see the nearly full moon and three seagulls flying high in the sky. In my rearview mirror I caught the glow of the sun setting behind me. I nearly cried with the beauty of it! And it did give me a massive sense of calm that lasted until, we’ll until about 10 minutes after I got home 😂. Thanks for sharing with #thesatsesh

March 4, 2018 / 3:41 pm

This is such a lovely anecdote – the ending made me laugh! xx

10. March 3, 2018 / 2:12 pm

I’m loving it. Even On day 4 of being pretty much housebound. I’m a big child though 🤣

11. aliduke79hotmailcom
    March 3, 2018 / 2:18 pm

I love watching the snow fall, I find it very relaxing. It also shows how much people pull together and help each other out. And like you said, people all come out and have fun together.
    #fortheloveofBLOG

12. March 3, 2018 / 2:38 pm

I love snow! We’ve had more than our fair share this time round (we had the red alert) so the shops have no bread or milk and we’ve only just been able to dig the car out, but we’ve really enjoyed the time it’s given us to play, go sledging, throw snowballs, make snow angels etc. And I also love staying inside where it’s warm while the snow falls outside – I never tire of watching that. #thesatsesh

13. March 3, 2018 / 4:49 pm

I have taught children that have never seen snow before and their awe and excitement is infectious. Snow does look beautiful and I turn into a big kid when snow arrives. But I must admit to hating the travel chaos that it brings. Thank you for hosting #thesatsesh

14. March 3, 2018 / 11:31 pm

We are on the tail end of our snow season. I do love snow however there is something about spring! #thatsatsesh

15. March 4, 2018 / 8:44 am

So sorry I’ve missed a few, I needed to rest my mind after starting a new job! The point about the calm and stillness to the busiest of places is so true – I stood and watched for ages, soaking it all in #thesatsesh

March 4, 2018 / 3:37 pm

That’s so good to hear Sherry and you don’t need to apologise – totally understand! xx

16. March 4, 2018 / 12:29 pm

seeing all the gorgeous and happy photos on Instagram it has looked so magical. I have seen snow on a mountain, but never seen it fall, I would love to! #thesatsesh

March 4, 2018 / 3:36 pm

it is magical! xx

17. March 4, 2018 / 8:02 pm

It was so pretty to see the snow late Friday evening with it all falling down and settling. I live on 16th floor so really pretty to see it across the city X #thesatsesh

18. March 5, 2018 / 9:07 pm

I love the snow too. Hands down the best way to feel like a kid again. Loving the positivity. Just wish I was making an igloo with my boys right now! Shame it disappeared so quickly!

19. March 6, 2018 / 11:57 am

Hahaha nice try but it completely ruined my birthday so I officially hate snow now!!
    thanks for linking to #ablogginggoodtime

March 9, 2018 / 7:51 pm

Ooooohhhhh no – so sorry to hear that! Fair enough 🙁 xx

20. March 6, 2018 / 7:19 pm

Loved this positive outlook on snow, thanks for linking up to #fortheloveofBLOG

21. March 8, 2018 / 9:06 pm

#thesatsesh This has totally inspired me to write a blog about a wonderful positive that came out of the snow! Feeling the total love and mindful vibes of it falling, love this BIG time 🙂

March 9, 2018 / 7:50 pm

Thanks hon and look forward to reading your post xx

22. March 10, 2018 / 7:17 am

I do love how magical snow looks, and the joy it brings to the kids (until they’re wet and frozen), but it also amazes me just how devastating those beautiful little snowflakes can be too! #thesatsesh

23. March 10, 2018 / 2:28 pm

I love the snow when it’s fresh, everything always looks so beautiful.
    #thesatsesh