Words About the Weekend #2

In my introductory post to this new guest series I mentioned that ‘Words About The Weekend’ is a chance to be a bit nosey about other bloggers and what they get up to on a Saturday and Sunday.

The questions deliberately focus on principles of mindfulness – self-care, being present, appreciation and gratitude.

guest series

The second blogger to write a post for this series is my lovely co-host from ‘The Saturday Sesh’ Lucy from What My Fridge Says –  a brilliant blogger full of sassiness and excellent words of wisdom.

How do you usually kick the weekend off on a Friday night?

I write my post for #thesatsesh linky and we always have a treat dinner…last Friday it was pizza. The boys usually watch a film and I make a list of all the things I want to achieve over the weekend (I love a list!)

What do you usually do as a family at the weekend?  Any regular activities?

Swimming is always a family activity. I get to sit on the side and I usually use this time to write a skeleton version of my next blog. I always have a private yoga session extremely early on a Sunday morning and this is my time to exercise and also indulge in an activity that I adore and have some ‘me’ time. Yoga connects my mind to my body and on a good day to the universe. I would never be without my mat.

What does your partner or another member of the family regularly do for you on the weekend that you are appreciative of?

Currently its Saturday morning and I’m in bed with a cup of tea. I have an hour to myself before the crazy weekend begins. This is a precious gift from the Mr for which I’m eternally grateful.

How do you fit moments of self-care into the weekend?

Taking part in these questions has made me realise that I’m a pro at making time for myself. Perhaps its the only child in me, but I need moments of solace.
On a Sunday evening I always have a luxury pampered bath – no toys in the bath! The bubbles are always posh and sometimes i take a drink in with me (usually more bubbles), I listen to classical music or an inspirational podcast. Its my hour to set goals for the week, enjoy the accomplishments of the weekend just passed and also to just listen to me. Let it go, let it flow and pop on a face or hair mask. I’ve very recently tried to integrate this into the week as well… you can live for the weekend, but sometimes a heavy Wednesday needs a treat.
How do you make sure you slow down a little at the weekend?  Or re-connect with the family if it’s been a busy week with lots of people doing lots of different things?

My job is full time, non stop and emotionally heavy.
My family is non stop and I’m a whirlwind of activity.
I meditate, I read for pleasure, I watch inspiring clips, but my favourite way to reconnect (except yoga…okay yoga is my real favourite) is to wash up or hoover. I just find cleaning is productive but also totally therapeutic. Recently the little dude has joined in and loves to chat to me / attempt to help and I love these moments of family banter. Talking openly is hugely powerful for our tribe…plus I have some key questions to expand his little soul and challenge his opinions (when your mummy is a teacher – life is a classroom).
Wow!  I’m sure you’ll agree more inspiring words from Lucy.  Follow her on Twitter,  Instagram or Facebook.  If you’d like to take part in the guest series please email me at admin@missionmindfulness.co.uk.  Thank you!

Two Tiny Hands

1. January 27, 2018 / 8:09 am

I love this insights and sounds like you have a great balance as a family. #thesatsesh

2. January 27, 2018 / 10:51 am

Awww lovely and what a ace way to spend on Friday evening X #thesatsesh

3. January 27, 2018 / 1:07 pm

you sound like you have a fab Mr , like my Hubby, who brings me tea in bed. Also cannot beat a luxurious soak in the bath. I usually compose blogs whilst in there, although last week i dropped my phone in the water – oops! #thesatsesh

January 27, 2018 / 7:03 pm

Oops indeed! Mr Fridge does sound fab doesn’t he?! we are all very lucky xx

4. January 27, 2018 / 2:58 pm

Ooh, I love a bit of yoga and often do a half hour session when Cygnet is in bed.
    My weekends vary massively depending on whether I have my son with me. When Cygnet is with his dad I go for at least two runs over the course of the weekend, i read, i blog, i drink coffee and i get my nails done. When Cygnet is with me we might go to a museum or the park. I try to get a coffee shop trip in – Cygnet likes cake. Occasionally Cygnet lets me do a yoga session in the lounge. More often though he climbs on m’y whilst I’m in plank or child’s pose – not great.

Pen x #thesatsesh

January 27, 2018 / 7:02 pm

Ha ha ha – Yes I try and do pilates with the kids and it ends up the same. Your varied weekends sound lovely Pen xx

January 27, 2018 / 7:00 pm

Awww thank you – you are so kind xx

5. January 27, 2018 / 8:44 pm

I’m impressed! I mean, pleanty of self-care, AND getting some cleaning done at the same time 😮I’ve got a lot to learn from this… ☺️x #thesatsesh

6. January 28, 2018 / 2:13 am

I agree we need that solace, I crave time for me. Of course being a mum makes me so happy, it can also leave me depleted, so taking that time is key! I really enjoyed reading this. #thesatsesh

January 28, 2018 / 7:26 pm

Yes – getting the balance right is difficult but good to keep trying. xx

7. January 28, 2018 / 8:32 am

What a great series. Thank you for sharing 🌟 reading this has made me realise that I need more time for me! Thank you for hosting #thesatsesh

January 28, 2018 / 7:27 pm

I know Lucy is very good at carving out time for herself in her weekend as well as having fab family time too. xx

8. January 28, 2018 / 11:32 am

This is fabulous. It’s great to read about other super busy mums who also find way to look after themselves. Lucy is a total role model. #thesatsesh

January 28, 2018 / 7:28 pm

She is isn’t she – such an inspiration xx

9. January 28, 2018 / 2:55 pm

It’s great to read about someone who manages to make time selfcare despite having a busy job and a family to take care of. I should take a leaf out of Lucy’s book! #thesatsesh

10. January 29, 2018 / 9:50 am

We do this precious one extra hours in bed too, by taking turns each weekend. Great series. #thesatsesh

11. twotinyhands
    January 30, 2018 / 9:07 am

I always get a bit disheartened when dave ends up working a weekend. I love to have a bit of me time at the weekend. Baths, cups of tea in bed, all is great. I like how you can fit mindfulness into every aspect of life!! ‪Thank you for linking up to the #familyfunlinky‬

12. January 30, 2018 / 5:56 pm

I understand the desire for me time and before our staycation recently felt I was hardly seeing my hubby and was tied to the kids. #thesatsesh