A Guest Post: The Benefits of Yoga for Children

Today I am handing the blog over to a lovely blogger called Sophie. Sophie is a primary school teacher, as well as running the highly successful Old House In the Shires blog.  Here she writes about the benefits of yoga for children.

yoga mats hanging on a wall

Yoga is something that has been around for over 5000 years. It has been found to improve balance, strength, flexibility, energy levels and mental health. Most of us know about the physical and mental benefits of Yoga but it’s only recently that Yoga has become more accessible to children in the UK. I recently attended a Yoga for Children course which was excellent. I can really see myself trying out some of the activities with the young children in my class.

What are the benefits of Yoga for Children

Non competitive exercise. Yoga is a non competitive form of exercise which suits all children. Some children are more athletic than others and for them, competitive sport may be more rewarding but Yoga is inclusive to all children. Everyone’s a winner and everyone can go at their own pace.

Encourages healthy living and good habits. Children need to be taught about healthy eating and that exercise is good for them. Yoga is excellent for developing strength, coordination and movement. Finding a form of exercise that children love and want to carry on into adulthood is the key to healthy habits.

Calming  All young children have to deal with their developing and emerging emotions and some find it harder than others! Yoga helps to teach children the importance of breathing and gives them the tools to focus the mind. This, in turn can create a calmer child.

Body awareness  When children work through different poses during Yoga, that are more aware of what their body can do and how it feels when doing it. These connections are vital for the development of the whole child.

Auditory processing and focus  Listening to instructions and following through with the different poses help children to develop better listening and auditory processing. In turn, this develops a better focus. Being attentive during different situations is vital for children so that they can learn different skills. Learning to focus on their breath, children are present and focused on the now.

Cooperation and kindness  In a world where social media installs a view of perfection, Yoga helps to instil a sense of a positive body image. Yoga teaches self acceptance which will also transfer to children being kinder and more accepting of others. The fact that Yoga is non competitive fosters an awareness of inclusivity and kindness.

Managing stress  As children grow they will face more stress and pressure in their everyday lives from exams to social pressures. Yoga can help them build resilience. Fostering a love for themselves is the first step to a positive self image. Yoga also teaches children than relaxation is an important part of a healthy lifestyle, something that is often forgotten!

Mindfulness and Yoga  Mindfulness and Yoga for children are very much linked in that we can teach children to be more aware of their bodies and how they are feeling in the present moment. Mindfulness is something that schools in the U.K. have been embracing recently perhaps to a response to the increasing pressures that our children and teenagers face in this modern world. Instead of always striving for more, mindfulness helps to bring the mind back to the present and pay attention to what is happening now. In being more aware of the present, we become more resilient, more aware of how others feel and experience more joy in the small things in our lives.

You can find out more about the science of mindfulness here http://youthmindfulness.org/the-science-behind-mindfulness/

If you live in the Bath and Bristol area you may be interested in these classes.

Sophie’s lovely friend runs amazing retreats that may be of interest to you.

Here are the links to follow my blogging buddy Sophie on:

Link-up-badge-ABloggingGoodTime

The Pramshed

1. January 23, 2018 / 9:35 pm

My children did a yoga session in school this week as part of a ‘wellness week’ they really enjoyed the experience so definitely something I will consider looking into more

2. January 24, 2018 / 3:59 pm

I think mine would love yoga. I must keep an eye out locally x #fortheloveBLOG

3. January 25, 2018 / 8:58 am

This is a great reminder for me, have been planning to try some (more) simple yoga exercises with Penguin. We need to work on ways to calm down, as well as body awareness etc. And it’s good for me, too!
    #ablogginggoodtime

January 26, 2018 / 6:54 pm

Yay! THank you xx

4. January 27, 2018 / 8:14 am

I was actually looking at kids yoga classes yesterday and think it might be something nice to do as a family too. #thesatsesh

5. January 27, 2018 / 10:13 am

My friend recommended a children’s yoga channel on you tube and my kids love it. It’s great to watch how they all concentrate on following the instructions. It’s good to know that there are so many benefits other than enjoyment too 😊 #Satsesh

6. January 27, 2018 / 10:35 am

I love yoga but never actually thought to do it with the kids. My four year old is very sensitive and emotional and gets angry really easily, I think learning some yoga breathing techniques and doing some poses would actually really benefit him xx #thesatsesh

January 27, 2018 / 7:04 pm

Oooh yes definitely Wendy – and look up finger breathing online and show him that – really helped my son xx

7. January 27, 2018 / 11:16 am

We tried yoga as a family once, I think it’s great for kids too. Love old house in the shires blog too 😊👍 #thesatsesh

8. January 27, 2018 / 3:00 pm

I think yoga is great for kids and Cygnet occasionally does yoga at pre-school. He is not a great fan but we’ll keep at it. Pen x #thesatsesh

9. January 28, 2018 / 2:09 am

Anything that promotes body awareness and reduces stress is so great for children. My daughter Marigold has a lot of pain in her legs so yoga is great in helping her stretch and become more flexible. #thesatsesh

10. January 28, 2018 / 3:43 pm

My daughter loves doing Yoga workouts on Youtube, her favourite is Moana! Thanks for linking up to #fortheloveofBLOG

11. Lucy At Home
    January 29, 2018 / 9:07 pm

This sounds really interesting. I hadn’t really thought about yoga being a non-competitive way of exercising but that’s a really good point, and there aren’t many ways to keep fit that fall into this category. I think it’s great that schools are putting more of an emphasis on mindfulness and being present, and these courses sound like a great idea #blogcrush

12. mackenzieglanville
    January 31, 2018 / 1:37 am

It is lovely for children to be involved in competitive sports and understand they can not always win, yet strive for their best and work as a team, yet it is so very important for them also to have something that is just about them, about their body, their mind and their time. Wonderful post Thanks for linking up with #ablogginggoodtime

13. January 31, 2018 / 7:56 pm

My teenage girl is so into yoga and leads the youngest and I with , it’s so good for centring them and focussing their minds (and mine!) #ablogginggoodtime

14. January 31, 2018 / 8:09 pm