What is Life Like Now the Twins are 3?

Our beautiful baby girls turned 3 a few days ago.

No longer baby girls now then I suppose.

For all those parents of twins reading this post going through the incredible highs and lows of being twin parents this is the point where I say…

it has got easier.

Toddler twin girls dressed as wonder woman

The second half of the statement ‘double the trouble, twice the fun’ is now more truthful than the first part.

Undeniably parenting twins in those first few months can be a juggling act.  Parenting twins when they are toddlers can be a handful too.

When the girls turned one they were beginning to develop their own identities and this is definitely true now that they are three.

However, what is different now is that they are playing with each other more and more.

Parents of twins older than ours promised this would happen AND said it would make things easier.  And they were right.

However, what I hadn’t bargained on was just how lovely it is to observe them together too.

So girls this is for you – a description of what you are up to at the beginning of 2018.

You spend a good amount of time in their own pretend world of ‘Bissy’, ‘Gokka’ and ‘Elia’ (your imaginary friends – I have no idea where the names came from, maybe you will tell me one day!) who are either at school, being taken to school, at the doctors or the hospital, or being taking to the doctors or the hospital, or at a Birthday party!

Sometimes you rather cheekily ‘borrow’ my phone and announce that you are going to ‘text’ ‘Bissy’, ‘Gokka’ or ‘Elia’.  You also like to play hairdressers in the bath together and this goes along way in helping me to wash your hair so I am all for it!

When your big brother is at home you love to play with him too – playing ‘hide and seek’ or some sort of ‘chase’ where they can run round and round the lounge and sometimes kitchen too.  ‘What’s the Time Mr Wolf’ is also a big hit at the moment.  With you, twin 1, invariably picking 7 o’clock whenever you are the wolf!  I love watching the games unfold (and sometimes taking part too) and also love the family discos which regularly happen.  Watching you children dance with utter abandon is a joy to behold and also is an inspiration too.

Twin 1

Your language explosion has happened over the last six months and as you  find it easier to communicate your needs, your confidence has grown too.    Where you used to be less dominant in the relationship with your sister, I would say you’re both much more on an equal footing now.  However, you still do like to allow her her time in the limelight somtimes – like this weekend when we were singing ‘happy Birthday’ and you insisted that we didn’t sing to you but instead we all (including you) just sang to your sister!

When it comes to listening to music you will still request nursery rhymes like Humpty Dumpty, Georgie Porgie and the Grand Old Duke of York.  You still love the feel of a label and are very attached to your buggy, snuggling down under a blanket on a cold day.  However, you are also much happier walking on the school run now too.  Obsessed with watching Topsy and Tim and Justin from Cbeebies, you are also very content to sit in a swing for 20 minutes or so in the park.  You love your food and even eat the roast onions on a Sunday unlike your brother and sister.  It is delightful to listen to you ‘read’ to us, your dolls, the cats.  Anyone and everyone really!

Little girl reading to a doll

Twin 2

When it comes to listening to music you LOVE to sing along and dance around to pop songs.  You are regularly asking Alexa for ‘top songs by Little Mix’ and were obsessed with Pink a little while ago.  You also love ‘Can’t Stop the Feeling’ by Justin Timberlake and dance around and sing to the soundtracks from Moana and Frozen.  In fact sometimes we think you’re more like a teenager than a pre-schooler!

You happily wander into your older brother’s classroom saying ‘hi’ to his teachers and like to watch Sofia the First on the telly as well as your brother’s programmes.  You will also make sure that you are involved in all the games that the older ones in the park.  We are very lucky that your brother and his friends are always so happy to include you!

When it comes to food you are not so open to trying everything your sister does and will collude with your big brother muttering about how ‘disgusting’ the casserole is.  You still love to twiddle hair and have your My Little Ponies in bed with you so you have their tails for comfort (as well as a variety of Elsa dolls!)  You love a ‘kiss and a cuddle’ when saying ‘goodbye’ to someone and are super polite about your ‘pleases’ and ‘thank yous’.  You also will have your face painted at any opportunity!

Little girl having her face pained

Twin 2 you wanted a pony for your 3rd Birthday cake.

Twin 1 you requested a pink dinosaur!

Two 34d birthday cakes

So no longer babies at all I suppose.

Except you are.

To us you will always be our babies.

Our beautiful baby girls and we know we are very lucky to have you.

XX

Twin girls at a garden gate

Lucy At Home

Tammymum
The Pramshed

1. January 18, 2018 / 10:38 pm

Absolutely love this post. Our twin girls turn 5 next month. While I love how much they’ve come on since starting school last September this has brought home to me just how quickly the last few years have flown by ❤

January 19, 2018 / 7:42 pm

Awww – I hadn’t realised 2 of your 4 were twins! Yes time does fly doesn’t it. Thanks for the lovely comment xx

2. January 19, 2018 / 10:15 pm

Love this Hayley! Your girls are gorgeous and I’ve loved reading about their little personalities! Xx

January 20, 2018 / 10:10 am

3. January 20, 2018 / 7:38 am

Lovely post and I love how you describe each of their achievements and traits separately. So great that they are such good friends #satsesh

4. January 20, 2018 / 7:39 am

Lovely post!! I loved 3. To be honest I’ve loved all the ages my son has been but I’d quite like him to stay at 4 now. Happy Birthday to your lovely twins and roast onions? What’s your secret to getting them eaten up?! #thesatsesh

January 20, 2018 / 10:12 am

Thanks Rach – I know I loved 4 too with my eldest but just to let you know now he’s 7 I think that’s my fave age yet….it’s just so lovely that every age has it’s positives and we enjoy them when we are at that point. The roast onions…. I didn’t offer them to her and she nicked them off my plate… now insists on them every Sunday roast! xx

5. January 20, 2018 / 9:48 am

Happy birthday to your little girls, Hayley! What a lovely description of the both of them; I really get a clue to what they are like. They seem quite different but then they are individuals! I love that they can look back at this when they are older and read about what they were like. Impressive cakes btw! #thesatsesh

January 20, 2018 / 10:10 am

Thanks Sophie – yes the blog is definitely a way to record family moments and developments. You are right they are very different in lots of ways! The cakes were not my creation – very grateful to grandparents for doing those! xx

6. January 20, 2018 / 1:23 pm

This is lovely. Your girls are beautiful and clearly have amazing personalities. I hope they had a great birthday. #thesatsesh

January 20, 2018 / 10:15 pm

7. January 20, 2018 / 2:12 pm

Awww lovely read, here is to a fun and happy year being 3 X #thesatsesh

January 20, 2018 / 10:15 pm

8. January 21, 2018 / 4:19 am

Lovely post, and reminds me of my girls who are less than 2 years apart. I experience great joy in just watching them speak to each other, it’s so darn cute. I love the two incredibly different cakes your girls chose!!! #thesatsesh

9. January 21, 2018 / 8:49 am

Such a lovely post- my youngest is about the same age as your twins and I recognise so much of this- we have various imaginary names too, Ginny is a favourite. You’ve done a great job with their cakes- very lucky girls! #thesatsesh

January 21, 2018 / 9:53 pm

Thank you – I was very grateful to the grandparents for doing the cakes so can’t claim as my work! xx

10. January 21, 2018 / 11:55 am

I’m so glad it has got easier for you! I don’t have twins but my youngest turned 3 not long ago and there is a difference. My boys are starting to play together nicely now and it’s gorgeous to see. This post will be lovely to look back on and remember the details of what their personalities were like at this age. #thesatsesh

January 21, 2018 / 9:52 pm

Thanks Nicole xx

11. mackenzieglanville
    January 21, 2018 / 12:47 pm

I know having one baby was like a complete nightmare at times, so I can not imagine how you managed 2 crying babes, but you did it and they are fabulous and amazing and so are you! I love what you say here and I love how they are playing together with imagination. My girls although 3 years almost seperate them have the best friendship, my favourite mummy thing is watching them bond and create moments thaw ill long be told in the future as my sister and I still do. Happy birthday amazing, fabulous girls! #thesatsesh

January 21, 2018 / 9:52 pm

Awww thanks for the lovely comment Mac xx

12. January 21, 2018 / 1:49 pm

my girls get on so beautifully, it is sweet to see yours developing a very close bond. #thesatsesh

13. January 22, 2018 / 11:12 am

Enjoy every minute, I say they grow up before you know it, !lovely post #familyfun@_karendennis

January 22, 2018 / 11:16 am

Thanks Karen xx

14. January 22, 2018 / 9:16 pm

This is such a lovely read. My littlest is three in two weeks and I’m not ready! #thesatsesh

15. January 22, 2018 / 9:46 pm

Happy 3rd Birthday to your girls. They will absolutely always be your babies 😉 they both sound like little treasures. Alexa is a favourite in our house too!
    #thesatsesh

January 23, 2018 / 9:00 pm

Hee hee – you’ve gotta love Alexa. Thanks Helen xx

16. January 22, 2018 / 10:30 pm

Awww this is lovely! My youngest is 3 and it really is such a wonderful age! Mine always chooses 8 o’clock for the Mr Wolf game. Hehe. I hope they both had a lovely birthday #blogcrush

January 23, 2018 / 8:59 pm

Thanks Lucy – they did 🙂 xx

17. Jenni - Odd Socks and Lollipops
    January 23, 2018 / 2:01 pm

Awww what a wonderful post. I found that parenting got a lot more fun as my daughter turned 3 as her personality became so much more apparent, though it does catch me every now and again and I feel a little nostalgic that she is not a baby anymore, she is now four! #blogcrush

January 23, 2018 / 8:58 pm

Thank you for your kind words – yes they grow up fast! xx

18. January 24, 2018 / 1:30 pm

This is an insight into my future!!! Ben is nearly two and his personality is shining through so when I’ve got twins at 3 and Ben at 5, It’s gonna be manic but amazing!!! #fortheloveofBLOG

January 25, 2018 / 4:16 pm

Definitely hon! Good luck 🙂 xx

19. January 24, 2018 / 2:06 pm

I am a twin and I have a 3 year old so can relate to this in more than one way!

The weird words only the twins know can carry on into adulthood (alongside normal communication I hasten to add) haha!

20. January 27, 2018 / 2:51 pm

Aww, this is lovely. My youngest is three and she has developed so much in the last year, it’s beautiful to watch.
    Thank you for joining #FamilyFunLinky x

21. January 28, 2018 / 3:23 pm

Aww, they’re so cute. They’ll always be your babies. Thanks for linking up to #fortheloveofBLOG x

22. January 28, 2018 / 9:11 pm

What a great post! Wish them a very happy birthday! Such Nachas! So happy it is getting easier too. Ours are 2.5 years apaprt, and at times it is still hard. Oy! #thesatsesh xoxo

January 28, 2018 / 9:22 pm

Ooooh yes any sibling relationship has it’s ups and downs and challenges for parents. Hope all okay with you lovely – feel like I’ve missed your blog recently so had a little catch up this afternoon xx

• January 29, 2018 / 1:17 am

Good to have you back! I’ve been overwhelmed and not writing enough. 🤗😘💕

January 29, 2018 / 10:47 am