Schools paying a ‘Business Improvement District Levy’ – a misappropriation of tax payers’ money?

I’m aware that I’m angry.

Not to bang on about it AGAIN but we all know just how strapped for cash schools are at the moment.  We also know the impact this is having on our education system and our young people.

As I have previously mentioned you only need to read the Headteachers’ recent plea to the Chancellor of the Exchequer to understand that the situation has reached crisis point and austerity is hitting schools, and therefore the next generation, hard.

a person sat at a desk colouring

Therefore the fact that five schools in the Borough of Bexley, on the borders of London and Kent, are being compelled to spend thousands of pounds a year  to promote the profitability of local businesses, appears to many to be a misuse of public funds.

As Zoe Wakeling, the creator of an online petition requesting that schools in Sidcup are exempt from this levy, puts it:

“The schools will have to pay this levy with funds that would otherwise be used to educate our children.   The schools are already massively underfunded, they cannot afford this.  The schools could have easily been exempt from the levy, as similar BIDS have done. Sidcup BID have chosen to include the schools…Our schools already have limited funds, what they do have needs to be used to educate our children, not to benefit local businesses. Educating the next generation should be the number one priority in our community.”

More information about the Sidcup BID can be found here and I’m sure there is lots to admire in their work.  However, threatening a school with legal action because they are refusing to pay approximately £40 000 over five years may not be their finest moment.

sidcup map

A map showing Sidcup’s BID and how the boundary appears to have been drawn to specifically target certain schools.

If you too are angered by this use of school funds, and would like the Sidcup Business Improvement District to reconsider their decision to take precious funds from local schools, then please click here to sign the petition.

Is this just a one off or are schools nationwide being forced to pay such levies?

And either way can this really be justified?

Burnished Chaos

The Mummy Bubble

1. December 6, 2017 / 12:31 pm

I can find nderstabd why you are angry. That’s horrible.

2. December 9, 2017 / 8:18 am

This is insane to do this. I thought schools.wer about education but then again this is typical of the government always having an alternative agenda! X #thesatsesh

December 9, 2017 / 9:09 pm

I agree – oh so very typical unfortunately. xx

3. December 9, 2017 / 10:09 am

Nothing’s surprises me in Education any more. Honestly nothing. It’s all about private big business these days and money. Education and money? How did we all allow this to happen? I’m outraged as much as you Hayley. Crappity crap. #thesatsesh

December 9, 2017 / 9:01 pm

Thank you sooooo much for reassuring me that I’m not going mad and that this is crazy! I appreciate your comment xx

4. December 10, 2017 / 4:44 pm

This is bad, sadly there are too many stories like this emerging. Really sad for all our children. #thesatsesh

December 10, 2017 / 10:24 pm

I agree.

5. December 12, 2017 / 2:20 pm

This is ludicrous, I’ve never heard of it and how ridiculous. I’m not surprised the Sidcup schools are refusing to pay it, they are already underfunded as it, why should they have to pay to support loca businesses. Thanks so much for linking up at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

6. December 12, 2017 / 3:18 pm

Omg this is awful. How can they do that. Like you said, schools are already underfunded which may have an impact on the childrens futures, so this is ridiculous. I’m not surprised you’re angry. I would be too x #FamilyFunLinky

7. December 12, 2017 / 9:00 pm

#thesatsesh ok, read the first sentence…joined your anger – and uttered every line and sentiment. wankers. Thats my professional take on this. 😉