Counting Down to Christmas with a Little Bit of Kindness

Advent calendars.  Don’t get me wrong, for much of December we fully embrace pre-brekkie chocolate in our house.  The children open their advent calendars with glee first thing in the morning and the sweet treat doesn’t last very long at all.

This year however, as well as our usual advent calendars, we are going to try something a bit different.

A Christmas tree

I’ve been inspired by Mackenzie’s post about remembering the true spirit of Christmas when it comes to developing family’s traditions, and also by a fellow teacher who put together a ‘daily acts of compassion Christmas countdown’ for our students.

So I’ve tried to make my own version of this ‘Christmas Countdown’.  It’s age appropriate so that our pre-school aged daughters can do lots of the suggestions as well as our older son too.

We will randomly pull one idea out of a Christmas themed box or tin each day in the build up to the big day and make sure we all do our best to fulfil the mini kindness challenge that day.

Here’s the list I have put together:

1. Give a big smile to someone today
12. Help make someone a drink or a snack
13. Be kind and gentle with the family pet today
14. Dance around encouraging others to do the same
15. Give someone a big hug today
16. Ask someone how they are when you see them
17. Hold the door or gate open for someone
18. Tell someone you are thankful for what they do for you e.g. a teacher, a dinner lady…
19. If you see someone looking sad or lonely at school or at home go and speak to them
20. Make Christmas wrapping paper and wrap a small present
21. Say merry Christmas to someone in a shop or at school
22. Clear your bowls and plates away after a meal
23. Turn off the water when you are doing your teeth
24. Bake Christmas biscuits and take them round to the neighbours

Hopefully, this little activity will be a little reminder of the important messages of the festive period – thinking of others, the importance of giving and showing kindness.

What do you think?

I’m hoping this may become a bit of a family Christmas tradition.

Would it work in your house?

Do you already do something similar?

Tammymum

1. December 1, 2017 / 9:02 pm

Oooh that’s a lovely idea! This would work beautifully in school too…the children could write the list too and then pull out one each day and into the New Year. I may try this! Thanks for the idea.
    You are very kind to Link this lovely post to #thechristmaslinky
    Have a super day. Xx

December 2, 2017 / 7:41 am

No worries – good luck with it if you try it! XX

2. December 2, 2017 / 8:57 am

Love this. So many people get bogged down with buying things and forget what Christmas is actually about. R is too little to understand something like this. But that doesn’t mean I can’t. #thesatsesh

3. December 2, 2017 / 9:27 am

I love this. Its such a lovely idea. I will definitely be getting my family on board with this x #thesatsesh

4. December 3, 2017 / 5:49 am

Lovely idea, especially for little ones to get excited. Thanks for sharing. #thesatsesh

5. December 3, 2017 / 6:53 am

It always amazes me how commercial Christmas gets and how stressful and unkind SOME people become in the festive period. Always feel there’s more tension on the roads, more sharp elbows in town and just a general out for themselves attitude until a few days before the big day. I may sound like a Scrooge but I think if everyone did an advent calendar like this the world would be a better place. I’m going to store this idea away for when my children are old enough, thanks for sharing. #thesatsesh

6. December 3, 2017 / 9:26 am

Awww what a lovely idea, small kind gesture can be really powerful towards others X #thesatsesh

7. December 3, 2017 / 12:58 pm

This is a lovely idea- I like the one about telephoning a friend- so rare these days but so important. #thesatsesh

8. December 4, 2017 / 11:50 am

This is a lovely idea! For the last four years we have done something kinda similar with your Advent calendar – every day the kids get chocolate of course, but also a prompt, be it for baking, crafting, or an outing. But I want to include more acts of kindness/charity to really get them in the Christmas spirit, so I might borrow some of your ideas!
    #FamilyFun

December 4, 2017 / 1:39 pm

By all means do! Have fun and a very merry Christmas xx

9. December 4, 2017 / 1:35 pm

I love this ideA!!! With everyone worrying about presents and shopping it can be all too easy to forget what Christmas is all about, I absolutely love this post, what a wonderful way to spread some festive cheer xx #thesatsesh

December 4, 2017 / 1:39 pm

10. December 4, 2017 / 7:32 pm

#thesatsesh shhhhhh i truly adore this and want a full whatsapp report on how its going. I love the idea and hope to do something similar next year. 🙂

December 4, 2017 / 7:50 pm

Ha ha – yes it’s going really well so far 🙂 Will of course keep you updated xx

11. December 8, 2017 / 11:32 am

Ah what a fabulous idea. Really thoughtful. I’m so with you on remembering the spirit of Christmas and really want to make sure that it is something mychildren grow up appreciating. Thanks for joining us at #familyfun lovey

12. Kel K
    December 8, 2017 / 9:30 pm

This is a lovely idea and I might well do it next year! We’re doing a Reverse Advent Calendar this year as I wanted my kids to understand it’s about giving more than receiving. #TheSatSesh

December 9, 2017 / 9:11 pm

I love the idea of a reverse advent calendar too and will be doing one of these next year deffo xx

13. December 9, 2017 / 12:36 am

I love this and I may wake up very early tomorrow to set this up! We could all use kindness, especially during the stress of the holiday season. Even though there is joy, there is stress to! I wonder which one my kids wil pull first! Thank you! #thesatsesh xoxo