5 Mindfulness Tips Courtesy of Dr Tamara Russell

Last Saturday I headed into town to attend a ‘Lucky Things Meet-Up’ organised by the inspirational Sunita of Lucky Things.  I was particularly excited to attend this one as the speaker was Dr Tamara Russell, a clinical psychologist and expert in mindfulness.  I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of her new book while I was there too.

FullSizeRender(27)

So here’s what I took away from the session:

The Transitional Pause Practice

Tamara began the session with her own twist on a 3-step practice.  She guided us through a practice to:

1. notice what emotional ‘baggage’ we were bringing with us to the room in that moment
  2. focus on our breath to ground us in that present moment
  3. set ourselves an intention to help us get the most from the next few moments in our day

Be Realistic About Your Mindfulness Practice

This is something I’ve felt personally for some time now but it was refreshing to hear this from someone with such academic weight behind them.  So often mindfulness practitioners are very set on the amount of practice that people should be doing.  Of course someone who is embarking on an 8 week MBSR or MBCT course should be aware of the expectation that their daily practice may well be as much as 45 minutes per day. Developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn the original format of mindfulness was for people suffering from chronic illness.  However, not everyone may want, or need, to commit to this level of meditative practice. Dr Russell also recommended that people be open to doing mindfulness ‘on the go’ and discussed mindfulness for busy people.  This is something that the politician Tracey Crouch also spoke about in the summer.

Mindfulness is About Being Able to be Okay When Things Are Not Okay

Dr Tamara Russell reminded the audience that mindfulness is not all about looking for the positive.  It is about being accepting of every emotion and all the different shades of the emotional spectrum that there is – light or dark, positive or negative – that take us over at different times in the day, and in life.

Mindfulness Helps Us Be More Open to Learn From Our Mistakes

She also spoke about how often guilt, blame or shame can stop people learning from their mistakes.  We were told that the more aware we are of our emotional state the better we will be at seeing learning opportunities when things go wrong.  Makes sense to me.

Keep The 3 Cs in Mind!

Dr Russell talked about the core aspects of mindfulness being pared down to three key words.  These words can help when facing challenges in our day.  Simply ask ourselves at this moment do we need to be:

• Curious?
  • Courageous?
  • Compassionate?

If you’d like to find out more about Dr Tamara Russell click here.

Best wishes

1. November 11, 2017 / 7:33 am

This sounds really good and we all should concentrate more on leaving emotional baggage at the door and focusing on he here and now a bit more. Thanks for hosting #thesatsesh x

November 12, 2017 / 9:48 pm

Pleasure and yes – very sensible! xx

2. November 11, 2017 / 8:08 am

I love those three ‘C’s’ at the end- great questions to ask yourself. #thesatsesh

November 13, 2017 / 10:34 am

Thank you – yes so helpful! xx

3. November 11, 2017 / 11:10 am

Really thought provoking Hayley as always, I think it’s really true that we stop ourselves from learning as we’re busy with other emotions at times. I love the three C’s idea too-definitely going to try to use this mindset. #thesatsesh

November 13, 2017 / 10:33 am

Thanks so much for the thoughtful comment Karen – yes I can often see emotions getting in the way of a learning moment – for me, for the kids I teach and for my family. xx

4. November 11, 2017 / 4:07 pm

I love this and some really good points raised. Thanks for sharing X #thesatsesh

November 13, 2017 / 10:32 am

So pleased you’ve found it helpful. xx

5. thesingleswan
    November 12, 2017 / 9:04 pm

Oh, I really like this version of mindfulness, particularly the three Cs. Pen x #thesatsesh

November 13, 2017 / 10:31 am

Great I’m so pleased Pen. Yes I think I will use the 3Cs a lot! xx

6. November 13, 2017 / 7:57 am

As someone short of time I love the idea of mindfulness on the go. Thank you for sharing 🌟 #thesatsesh

November 13, 2017 / 10:31 am

I know – me too – I’m pleased you liked it and good luck! xx

7. November 13, 2017 / 5:01 pm

I’m going to have to look into Ms. Sunita, this sounds so interesting. #thesatsesh

8. mackenzieglanville
    November 14, 2017 / 12:04 am

My brother in law became a mindfulness teacher about 15 years ago, he travelled to tech in Canada and Mexico, he is back in Australia now. Mindfulness was very helpful for my father in law through his battles with Cancer and he attributes it to one of the main reasons he is still alive today despite the doctors being baffled that he is. Really interesting post #thesatsesh

November 14, 2017 / 8:18 pm

Thank you Mac. Wow re: your father in law – that is AMAZING. xx

9. November 15, 2017 / 9:15 pm

This is a great post, as I try more and more to be present and in a good place in a world that, well, sometimes isn’t. Thank you! #thesatsesh xoxo

10. November 16, 2017 / 7:21 pm

#thesatsesh out of interest would you recommend the book? Also, are there any mindfulness books aimed at more advance practise?

11. November 18, 2017 / 8:33 am

#thesatsesh I love the 3 c’s from reading your blog recently I’m definitely going to look in to mindfulness would her book be a good place to start?

12. November 18, 2017 / 8:54 am

I first discovered mindfulness about 15 years ago when I started attending meditation sessions which were very heavily influenced by the writings of Thich Nhat Hanh. With life getting in the way (as it does) I’ve often felt in a bit of a vicious circle, with not being able to commit the time needed to mindfulness but at the same time knowing that it would actually help my state of mind and ultimately enjoy life more! This is really useful to know as I have always felt that mindfulness practice needs to be long and concentrated to have any real benefit, but I take heart that I could dedicate some small amount of time and still enjoy the now. I’m going to put her book on my Christmas list (well, if I had a Christmas list!) xx

#thesatsesh