5 Reasons Why You and Your Child May Wish to Try A Mindfulness Course

A few months ago I was at one of Sunita from Lucky Things meet-ups and she talked about “shouting quietly” about our achievements.  This phrase, as well as lots of other tips that I’ve picked up from her talks, has stayed with me and helped me be less shy about my successes.  It also inspired me to write this blog post.

Trained-To-Teach-dot-B

Since qualifying with MISP 18 months ago I have worked in different schools with a range of age groups teaching young people mindfulness.  The feedback has been hugely positive and encouraging.  The students, and their teachers, are very sure of why it is an important skill to develop.   They emphasise how sessions:

Help with Stress Management and Problem-Solving

“If there are children that have issues at home, not severe ones, then these mindfulness sessions help a lot and make a huge difference. I have been using mindfulness ever since.”

A Y7 student

“Mindfulness has helped the children to cope with whatever stressful scenario they may face. As their class teacher, I have had the benefit of seeing the children grow, mature and develop confidence by working through the mindfulness programme with Hayley.  We are very grateful for all that she has taught us.”

A Year 6 teacher

Help Focus, Concentration and Behaviour

“I have found the sessions helpful in many ways. Academically, they have helped with my concentration during days of revision and coursework; they have also helped me to think logically about my workload rather than becoming overwhelmed making my time management and revision strategies more efficient.”

A Y13 student

“The mindfulness sessions have been brilliant and we have seen a real impact on the children’s behaviour and their ability to cope with stressful situations.”

A Year 5 teacher

Help Bring Calm

“Very interesting and useful! Helped me calm down alot!”

A Y7 Student

“I really enjoyed the sessions. They were a very peaceful way to end the school day and I found my focus was better when I got home.”

A Y13 student

Help Build Confidence and Self-Esteem

“I can say confidently that these sessions are a brilliant way to help students understand issues from stress to self-confidence in an environment that wasn’t intimidating and that didn’t delve too deeply into our personal lives. It helped us understand these struggles and find methods to deal with them which is so much more effective than anything I’ve come across in school.”

A Y13 student

Since qualifying to teach mindfulness via the WorkplaceMT course nearly a year ago I have also run courses for adults.

workplace mt logo.png

As well as commenting on similar benefits as the children the feedback from the adult course highlighted how participants on the course:

Begin to Prioritise Self-Care

“I found the course very inspiring, it was great to take time out. Hayley was very encouraging and prompted great discussion from the group during our weekly meetings.”

“Hayley has a calm and friendly manner which made me feel at ease in the class from the very beginning. She is very knowledgeable and helpfully relates some of the more theoretical ideas to real life. She coached us a wide range of informal and formal mindfulness practices in a supportive and soothing way. She checked in between sessions via email which was really helpful in reminding me what I should be doing! However, Hayley made no judgement on us if our home practice had not been carried out – she created an atmosphere where we felt happy to talk about what we had and hadn’t done! I recommend this course to anyone who is new to mindfulness or to those who’d like a refresher, or simply a dedicated space and time each week to focus on their practice. Thank you Hayley!”

So if your interest has been piqued about mindfulness for you or your child then there are a couple of things you may want to do.

If you would like your child to be taught mindfulness in a rigorous and worthwhile way  at school then do speak to a member of the school’s senior leadership team about getting a qualified mindfulness teacher in. You can find someone who has done the ‘Mindfulness in Schools Project’ training on this map.  If you live in or around London and Kent feel free to point them in my direction!

If you would like to do a course yourself I would recommend finding a course run by a qualified teacher in your local area.  Again if you are London or Kent based then feel free to contact me at admin@missionmindfulness.co.uk.

Good luck!

#ablogginggoodtime

Burnished Chaos

1. Rebecca Davidson
    November 2, 2017 / 7:57 am

Hi Hayley, this is a really timely post as I was searching yesterday to find out more about what you can offer for sixth form as my Year 13s have been asking for some mindfulness training. I struggled to find information on your blog and FB page so I definitely agree that you should shout out a bit more about what you offer as the comments you have from students and teachers are amazing!! I’ll send you an email!

November 5, 2017 / 8:52 pm

Thanks so much Becky – I will try my best to be better at promotion! Please let me know if you need anymore from me xx

2. November 2, 2017 / 10:56 am

I thibk this is brilliant to teach for children in school X #ablogginggoodtime

3. November 4, 2017 / 7:14 am

I think mindfulness is such a wonderful tool to have. That said, I am finding it difficult to implement at present. Sometimes it just feels so hard. #thesatseesh

November 5, 2017 / 8:50 pm

Oh lovely I know it can be hard sometimes – take care. xx

4. November 4, 2017 / 12:35 pm

Such a good idea. Life is so busy and stressful these days!! #thesatsesh

5. November 4, 2017 / 3:06 pm

My school was talking about doing this but I’m not sure if they’ve sorted it out yet. I’ve just agreed to be a governor so I guess I’ll find out all the stuff they’re doing soon! I definitely think mindfulness at school would really help my son deal when he feels a bit stressed by it all. Well done for all your achievements xx #thesatsesh

November 5, 2017 / 8:45 pm

Thank you Nicole and well done for giving up more of your precious time to be a governor – we need good ones like you and it is a role people aren’t always willing to commit too so that is fab that you’re doing it. Yes, I do think lots of children would benefit from being taught mindfulness in the school curriculum. xx

6. November 4, 2017 / 3:58 pm

You have my future job!! I would love to do this course and teach mindfulness in schools! In fact do you recommend any courses in my area? SW U.K.? Honestly Hayley I think this post if amazing. Thank you for sharing. Xx #thesatsesh

November 5, 2017 / 8:43 pm

Thank you so much for your lovely words! Definitely look into the ‘mindfulness in schools project’ (MISP) – I trained with them and would highly recommend. They hold courses in different locations around the UK. xx

7. November 4, 2017 / 4:14 pm

I think that this is something that I would really like to do. I attended a course on a recent training day. I can Definitely see the benefits it could have in my school too. #thesatsesh

November 5, 2017 / 8:41 pm

Oooh yes – definitely – it is really helpful for everyday stress. Take care

8. November 4, 2017 / 8:24 pm

This is brilliant Hayley. I really do think mindfulness techniques should be taught in schools from a young age, it would help them cope in so many situations as they move forward through school and life in general.
    #Thesatsesh

November 5, 2017 / 8:39 pm

Thank you so much and yes it really should be taught universally xx

9. November 5, 2017 / 12:52 am

I think this is a wonderful tool to have in the box, no matter what age! Great post. Makes me want to sign up now! #thesatsesh xoxo

November 5, 2017 / 8:39 pm

If only we lived a little closer – or even on the same continent! One day I’ll do a digital course…. xx

10. November 5, 2017 / 8:00 am

I think every school should teach mindfulness. What wonderful work you do and such amazing feedback. What sort of age range do you work with, could something like this be offered to early Years children? #thesatsesh

November 5, 2017 / 8:36 pm

Thank you Ali for your kind words – I trained with the Mindfulness in Schools Project and they start their courses for 7 year olds and upwards. My boy was doing little stillness practices with his teacher last year in Y1 so it is happening a little. Often it’s the really young children that do this stuff naturally and we could learn a thing or two from them rather than hurrying them through life so much! xx

11. November 6, 2017 / 12:22 am

Popping back, showing some mindful blogger love, #ablogginggoodtime xoxo

12. mackenzieglanville
    November 6, 2017 / 2:10 am

Mindfulness really changed my life with helping me deal with my anxiety, I think if I hadn’t have discovered mindfulness I never would have started my blog, it really has had a huge impact on who I am now. #thesatsesh

13. November 6, 2017 / 2:23 pm

It’s amazing to see the difference that these courses are making in words from real teachers/students. I hope that they take a step towards bringing something like this to schools in the US. We are suffering from budget cuts in education. Just think of how many problems you are preventing with a cause on mindfulness. Keep it up! #thesatsesh

November 8, 2017 / 8:07 pm

Thank you – I hope so! xx

14. November 6, 2017 / 8:27 pm

#thesatsesh I agree, since becoming officially dot B trained the benefits to me as a human, mum, teacher and just about every aspect of life has helped. Im not as subtle as you – so shout it from the ROOF TOPS!!! mindfulness rocks x

15. November 6, 2017 / 9:30 pm

What a great idea. Some wonderful feedback Hayley. I’m sure it will be an amazing success for you and lead to bigger things #thesatsesh

November 8, 2017 / 8:05 pm

Thank you Andrea – I hope so! xx

16. aliduke79hotmailcom
    November 6, 2017 / 9:48 pm

School is very stressful for many kids, this is a great way to help them through it.
    #FamilyFun

17. November 10, 2017 / 7:34 am

Amazing Hayley! It is so good to see someone taking it to schools and the workplace. I definitely want my children to do something like this when they’re a little older in fact you have intrigued me about this course. I am off to investigate. Thabk you so much for sharing at #familyfun and well everyone else!!