Which Teacher Would You Thank?

A few weeks ago I was marking a set of essays and feeling a bit sorry for myself with the amount of work I was doing for what seemed like, in that moment, very little thanks.  The time it takes for me to mark a set of books.  The time it takes for me to write even one UCAS reference, let alone ten.  The impact the job has on our family time.  The fact that my wages barely cover my childcare bill.  I was dwelling on these negatives and feeling a little woeful to say the least.

A sign sayiing thank you

Anyway, you’ll be pleased to know that this post isn’t about the issues of teacher workload, pay and conditions or the like.  Instead, it is a post written in an attempt to cheer myself up and remind myself why I chose to be a teacher.  So, at that time, I took a break from the marking and posted a question in a blogger forum.  I asked:

“If you could turn back time and thank a teacher for the positive impact they had on your life, who would it be and what would you say?”

The answers reminded my why being a teacher can be such a rewarding and important vocation.  Here are some of them:

Sarah from Mummy Cat Notes would love to thank her old form tutor.  “She was such an amazing person and really listened to you if you had a problem.  We had her from year 9 until the end after being swapped around since year 7, she helped a lot of people and I’d give anything to bump into her now and thank her endlessly.”

Christy from Welsh Mum  would go back and thank her Religious Education teacher who taught her “to be open minded, tolerant and to treat people equally, however different their culture or beliefs are to mine. This really broadened my horizons and had a big impact on me as I had quite a narrow life-view at the time.”

Rebecca from Becster  said “I would thank my GCSE Business Studies teacher Miss Jones. She was the best! Thanks to her I had my first taster of accountancy which has led me to pursue a career in accounting. I’m now a Chartered Tax Adviser and a Chartered Accountant and a Partner in a local firm. And it’s all thanks to her!”

Tracey from Pack The PJs  said: “Mine would be my Headteacher at primary school – Mr Johnson. He was also my music teacher and pushed really hard for perfection – in my case on the recorder of all things! The night before my grade 5 exam, we had a practice run-through and I was RUBBISH. And he told me so. I was only 10, but I left the practice not upset as such, but more determined to prove to him that I could do it. I guess I didn’t like being criticised. That evening I practised, and practised and practised. The following day we went to the exam hall, I went into the exam, did my best and passed with distinction. He taught me to believe in myself and to uncover the determined character I’ve been ever since. That nothing is impossible. I can still play the songs for that exam – which I took in 1982!”

Pete from Household Money Saving  would thank Mr Boardman “my maths teacher. He really helped me get to grips with a subject I struggled with. And that has helped me understand money so much better now that I am older. ”

Lauren from Sophie’s Nursery:  “Mine would be my Maths teacher…he was an incredible teacher. He explained things to us in a way that made sense and didn’t just make us learn a method, but told us WHY it worked. I got higher levels on my SATs than predicted & he made me so much more confident in the subject to the point where it’s now my favourite one to teach!”

Simone from Dog Days and Delights would really like to  “thank Miss Vane, my Year 2 teacher.  As a summer born, I ended up in the same class as September babies who had been at school a whole year longer than me. Miss Vane gave me the chance to catch up. She recognised that I was good at reading and gave me the opportunity to read books in one sitting. I always wanted to tell her that I went on to do a degree in English and I now write children’s stories.”  Simone went on to write this post about Miss Vane.

Tamara from The Epileptic Blogger mentioned her English teacher Mr Condon.  She wrote:  “I had my first ever seizure in his class, I then went on to have loads in only his class. He went above and beyond to make sure I managed to get the best grades possible due to the circumstances. He even created a booklet of useful information because I had memory loss. He really was my rock in school and without him I’m sure I would have failed.”

Helena from The Queen Of Collage would like to thank her science teacher.  She simply says: “He believed in me.”

Carolin from Mummy Alarm would thank her English teacher (learning English as a second language in Germany) Herr Seelhorst.  “For the first week or two I sat in his class not really paying attention, which is how I missed the announcement for a test the next day. I got a ‘B’, although I was a straight A student.  He wrote ‘You ought to be ashamed of yourself’ underneath the test and that was the moment, I fell in love with him.  He was an amazing teacher, such a witty and intelligent man and I literally cried when he moved away. I went on to study English to be a teacher because of him and he probably has no idea how much he’s influenced me.”

Is there a teacher from your past who had a particularly positive impact on you?

Lucy At Home

1. October 26, 2017 / 9:57 pm

Thank you for including me! This is such a lovely post to read.

2. October 28, 2017 / 7:31 am

Fab post. So inspiring. I work in education and have such an incredible respect for teachers. They are so many roles combined into one and it’s amazing what they do every day! #thesatsesh

3. October 28, 2017 / 7:43 am

This is such a lovely post. Teachers definitely don’t get enough recognition. I went to a school that a poor reputation, not completely deserved but that’s a different story. But the teachers truly went above and beyond. Especially my English and Maths teachers who are the only reason I went on to college and then university. They believed in me and helped me believe in myself too!

October 29, 2017 / 10:12 pm

That’s so nice to hear and just how teachers should be. xx

4. October 28, 2017 / 8:50 am

Teaching takes everything out of you but is so worth every moment when you get powerful messages. The mum of one of my students recently contacted me to say she had started uni I was so proud!
    My favourite teacher was Mrs Spencer. She was my year one teacher and was simply everything a teacher should be! My mum still sends her a xmas card 40 years later. Interestingly I now teach year one too.
    #thesatsesh

5. October 28, 2017 / 9:37 am

I loved all my primary school teachers and I think that is why I teach the Primary Phase. I think my favourite was Mrs Baker who taught me in Year 3/4. She just understood that children need to be shown kindness to be more self confident. She was one of those teachers who made you feel special. A lovely lady. #thesatsesh

6. October 28, 2017 / 5:57 pm

I think there are some absolutely amazing teachers out there who go above and beyond time and time again, and just don’t get enough recognition at all. I had a new maths teacher in year 11, he totally turned around my perception and understanding of the subject at such a late stage, and in my view, allowed me to achieve a pass grade in my GCSE. #thesatsesh

7. October 28, 2017 / 5:59 pm

This is a great post- I had two brilliant English teachers in year 10 & 11. they were inspirational-
    I would thank them for being themselves. #thesatsesh

8. October 28, 2017 / 10:33 pm

I wholeheartedly have so much respect for you and other teachers. I wanted to become a teacher, why I didn’t I just don’t know, but I know full well just how much hard work it is, but also how rewarding it can be. I love this post #thesatsesh

October 29, 2017 / 10:09 pm

Thank you for the lovely comment Sherry. xx

9. October 30, 2017 / 2:46 am

This is so wonderful. I think teachers can have such an impact on a child/student, if they choose to. It’s an amazing position to be in. Now that I’m a mother, I realize what a huge role my child’s teacher plays in her life. And i am so thankful that there are passionate people working in this industry. I wish it were funded better of course, if there’s an area we need to put money into, it’s education. #thesatsesh

October 30, 2017 / 11:28 am

I totally agree! Thanks for the lovely comment xx

10. October 30, 2017 / 4:04 pm

Oh how I love this post! And I have so many teachers to thank, it would be endless. And now, as my kids go through school, I love and thank each and every person that has a say in their journey of the love of learning. Thank you too, for being a teacher, and doing what you do. Teachers are role mdels and don’t get nearly what they deserve in society. #blogcrush xoxo

November 1, 2017 / 8:04 pm

Awwww what a lovely comment Lisa – your kids’ teachers are very lucky to have you thanking them and making them feel special xx

11. October 31, 2017 / 9:20 am

Popping back in and loving this post again, from you neck of teh woods, #thesatsesh xoxo

12. Lucy At Home
    October 31, 2017 / 7:54 pm

Teachers really do do an amazing job. This is a fab post! I think we all have a teacher somewhere in our memory banks that really stands out. Mine was my music teacher in year 2 – she taught me to play the recorder, and I then went on to play the flute, piano & saxophone and eventually took a degree in music performance. #blogcrush

November 1, 2017 / 8:00 pm

She sounds awesome! Thanks for commenting xx

13. November 1, 2017 / 8:01 pm

#thesatsesh yesssssssss to this! i blooming adore this, right up my street! Mine would be my first drama teacher who taught me I could.x Best thing I ever learnt.

14. November 2, 2017 / 2:45 pm

I love this post , especially as my fave teacher is one of my fave people. She spotted in me at primary school that I was an absolute wannabe show off. I really wanted to be in school plays yet was so cripplingly shy I couldn’t talk in front of an audience .She made the next play all dance and I was lead dancer , boosted my confidence so much . We still write to one another now!! #thesatsesh

November 5, 2017 / 8:53 pm

That’s so lovely that you still keep in touch! Thanks for commenting xx