5 Highs and 5 Lows of Parenting Twins at 2 and a Half

Earlier this month the twins turned two and a half.  This milestone can only mean one thing.  We are right in the thick of the ‘terrible twos’ – times two.  Certainly there have been trying times of late.  I don’t think it’s a coincidence that, when my son was was about this age, I gave mindfulness another chance.  Give me a class of 32 Year 9s anytime, over 1 screaming, tantruming two year old; let alone two of them.

I certainly find dealing with the girls when they are ‘finding their will’ as well as looking after the needs of their older brother stretches me to my limits at times.  We do have lovely times and don’t get me wrong I am grateful for the family time we have together, but these are definitely peppered with frustrating moments where my patience is certainly tested.

So without further ado let’s consider the more challenging aspects of parenting twins at two and a half.

twins on the balcony

The Lows

• The attempts to get BOTH of them dressed before the school run in the morning.  More often then not one, or both of them, is not playing ball.
  • The fights over a toy that can result in biting, hair-pulling or hitting and then the mortification when twin 1 does this to someone at playgroup too.
  • The multiple screams for me in the middle of the night ‘Mummy, Where are you?’ is a regular cry any time between 11pm and 5am and as they share a room there are times when they disturb each other (and also times when rather surprisingly they don’t).
  • The strops in the supermarket.  By both of them.  At the same time.  Recently another Mum (who I don’t know) saw them in the playground and said “oooooh it was you two I heard screaming in Sainsburys earlier”.
  • Trying to keep everyone together when we are out and about.  They are so quick and so determined about where THEY want to go that this can often mean them shooting off in different directions.

However, on the flip side I am noticing some lovely developments that have come at this stage too.

The Highs

• They have really started to play together recently.  They like to play in the paddling pool together.  And have also started to play ‘doctors’ a lot together too.
  • They have begun to have real conversations with each other.  A few days ago twin 2 said to twin 1 “let’s have a chat” and they proceeded to sit together at the bottom of the garden and chat about who knows what!

Twin girls chatting in garden

• They look after each other by feeding each other, reading to each other and reassuring each other when it’s bedtime and one of them is unsettled in their cot.
  • They often shower each other with kisses and cuddles.
  • They are really developing their own identities.  This was made obvious to me the other day when they were both VERY sure about how they wanted to wear their Peppa Pig caps!

Twin girls tree climbing

Can any other parents of twins relate to this?

Are there any ‘highs’ and ‘lows’ that you would add to this list?

Twin parent or not, what stage have you found particularly challenging to date?

Or particularly joyful?

The Pramshed

1. susielhawes
    July 19, 2017 / 7:39 pm

Ah, i can’t imagine dealing with two of them! Miss Belle is roughly the same age and she’s been a handful, a bit less so the last few months, but definitely earlier this year, with biting and hitting etc. Thankfully she’s just about better at it now, although today i was told she pulled a girls hair at nursery! So not completely over it yet!! But you’re right, they are so fun now too. Miss Belle loves chatting away to me and I think it’s so cute they said “let’s have a chat!’ – adorable!! xx

August 13, 2017 / 11:18 pm

Sorry Susie – totally missed this comment. The biting is a nightmare and I never had it with the eldest but as you say these things tend to pass as quickly as they come. Thanks for commenting. xx

2. Mainy - myrealfairy
    August 2, 2017 / 9:25 am

I think it’s hard for me to understand completely how it is to parent twins as I dont have twins. My boys are 3 years apart and at 8 and 11 are still in the fighting ‘phase’ which they seem to of been in for about 2 years! However, when I put them in seperate rooms so they can get some space they just sneak back in together because they cant bear to be apart! Kids!!
    Mainy
    #fortheloveofblog

August 2, 2017 / 1:44 pm

The special sibling bond heh? Thanks for commenting xx

3. August 2, 2017 / 9:34 am

Hopefully the highs will always make up for the lows. #fortheloveofBLOG

4. August 2, 2017 / 10:20 am

Ahaha! I’ve been there! (sorry to laugh!!) I know all of those things. My twin boys are 4 in November, and the ‘lows’ don’t stop! Ha! But, the ‘Highs’ continue. Love those moments. Especially when you can see them actually becoming proper friends, and working together as a team!! Twins are amazing aren’t they? #FortheloveofBLOG

August 2, 2017 / 1:43 pm

Hee hee – thanks for the ‘heads up’. Yes the definitely are xx

5. August 2, 2017 / 11:57 am

My toddler is the same age and we are experiencing exactly the same as you, but not in double! Hats off to you for managing x #fortheloveofblog

August 2, 2017 / 1:42 pm

Awww – it’s good to know I’m not alone and thanks for the encouragment! xx

6. August 9, 2017 / 10:35 am

Love your blog posts Hayley. Yep there are so many highs and lows. I still think it’s amazing how peeps juggle twins. Twice the love twice the to-do-lists! I’m seeing my best friend this week and she has twin babies now. You guys are amazing. Lovely to hang out with you again at #fortheloveofBLOG
    Catch up again soon xx

August 13, 2017 / 9:20 pm

Awww thanks Sunita – yep definitely double the everything! See you soon xx

7. September 16, 2017 / 5:17 am

Right there with you at the 2.5 year mark with my first daughter, and I can see her personality shining through now so much. She acknowledges little sister (1yr) and wants to play with her, although it ends up being too strong of a squeeze and little sister ends up crying. It’s definitely a challenge raising a toddler, but so much fun at the same time. #thesatsesh

8. September 16, 2017 / 10:15 am

Fair play to you. I’ve 2 but with a huge age difference (2 and 7) I can only imagine what it would be like to be tag teamed by 2 year olds.

9. September 16, 2017 / 10:41 am

There is absolutely no way I could cope with two 2year olds. When my eldest was 2 he had the worst tantrums ever and was awful for biting and hitting other children, no way I could have coped if I had another one doing the same thing. I love all the high moments you mention though, must be so lovely for them to have each other xx #thesatsesh #fortheloveofblog

September 17, 2017 / 9:47 pm

Thank you – and I bet you would have coped xx

10. September 16, 2017 / 2:08 pm

I have one almost 2 year old and I take my hat off to you having twins. It can be so hard but most days I’m so proud to be her mum. I bet you get that feeling twice over!

#thesatsesh

September 17, 2017 / 9:46 pm

Super point, well made! Yes very proud. xx

11. September 16, 2017 / 10:21 pm

You’re a super hero! My one 2.5 year old has a problem getting dressed everyday (“I JUST want to be naked”) and I find that frustrating enough! I have noticed she’s starting to properly play with other children now though – your twins chatting reminds me of D chatting with her friend at the childminders. They were both sat on deck chairs in the corner of the garden chatting away for a good 10 mins so I’m told <3
    Lovely post, thank you for sharing! #thesatsesh

September 17, 2017 / 9:45 pm

Awww thanks for your kind words xx

12. September 17, 2017 / 10:30 am

I can only imagine how it is to raise twins, it seems exhausting at times but so rewarding x

13. September 17, 2017 / 8:02 pm

I don’t have twins but a couple of close friends do. They are just starting school now. I vividly remember them both saying very similar things. I think the hardest from what I remember was going out to open places and struggling to keep an eye on both. I love that they have chats, that’s very sweet x
    #thesatsesh

September 17, 2017 / 9:44 pm

Thank you – yes the open space thing was hard for a while but fingers crossed that’s got a bit better recently! Thanks for commenting xx

14. September 20, 2017 / 5:54 am

#thesatsesh life is a stream of highs and lows which surely must double with twins – hats off to you x they are gorgeous and humorous little beings