PointShoot Post #1: Mother’s Day 2017

Woah what a lovely day!  We had a ‘double whammy’ in the UK today.  Not only was it Mother’s Day, but it was the start of British summertime which can only mean one thing – more daylight and the promise of warmer weather.

Our family trip out was to Greenwich, south-east London and people definitely seemed cheerful from the sunshine and the feeling that spring was in the air.

Anyway you may be wondering what the point of this post is…..and selfishly this post is really for ME.  Catie from Diary of An Imperfect Mum wrote a super post recently about reasons why people blog and it reminded me that one of my initial impetuses was purely to keep a record of our ‘ordinary’ family life which would in turn remind me to see the ‘extraordinary’ in my mindful moments.  I’m waffling but I suppose it was meant to be a bit like an online family gratitude log.

However, somewhere along the way I have forgotten this key purpose of the blog so I’m hoping that by participating in Catie #PointShoot linky every now and then it will remind me to record my mindful moments on the blog again.  In turn I hope it will help readers to consider their ‘ordinary’ moments from the last few days and appreciate them all the more too.

I try hard not to photograph too many things in a day as the very act of taking my phone out to photograph something naturally takes me away from the present moment.  However, I don’t see the harm of capturing some of my ‘mindful moments’ once I have observed them as is, just as re-reading a gratitude log can bring joy back, so too can going through photos from a day.

Anyway, this is meant to be a short post so I will stop over-thinking it and share some of my precious ‘mindful’ moments from Mother’s Day 2017.

1. I always seem to feel ever so keenly how much I love the part of London we live in when we are looking at this view overlooking Greenwich Park and beyond.  We generally stop here to enjoy the view and I adore the juxtaposition of the Queen’s House in the foreground with Canary Wharf in the background.  We have all this virtually on our doorstep and I know we are very lucky.
  2. The twins found some daisies – I would have walked right past them had they not stopped us to take a look.  It was lovely to pick a few and see how the girls studied them so closely.  It reminded me that our eldest used to do the same and when I told him he went through a phase of picking a daisy for me every time we went out when he was a toddler, he picked me one for old time’s sake!
  3. The bright blue sky over the Thames was glorious today and we loved going on deck on the Cutty Sark to pretend to be pirates (the History teacher in me had to resist saying that it wasn’t actually a pirate ship so instead I watched the kids enjoying their imaginary play – climbing in and out of the bunks etc).  I was very grateful to my Mum for taking on board my post about ‘stuff’ and buying us the Greenwich museum’s family pass for 2017 instead!

I hope you all had a lovely Mother’s Day whether you were treating someone else or being treated yourselves.

Did you take any photos that  could help you put together today’s gratitude log entry?

Have a lovely week.  signature

Diary of an imperfect mum #PointShoot
Petite Pudding
Tammymum

1. March 27, 2017 / 7:08 am

Looks like a fabulous day! #EatSleepBlogRT

2. March 27, 2017 / 11:42 am

That sounds like a lovely day! I think it’s important to capture some moments in photos. Sometimes I’m guilty of spending too much time behind the lens, but I do love looking back on the photos of us enjoying something fun!
    ~Jess
    #EatSleepBlogRT

3. March 28, 2017 / 10:31 am

What a wonderful day. Looks like so much fun. Gorgeous photos xx #pointshoot

4. March 28, 2017 / 10:52 am

Capturing moments is so important, you can have your memories but in busy days you forget those little moments.

5. March 28, 2017 / 8:05 pm

Looks like a lovely day out with your family. There is nothing like spending time together outside, especially when the weather is being kind. #PointShoot

6. March 29, 2017 / 6:49 am

It was such a stunning weekend! There’s nothing like getting outdoors to really life your spirits. I agree it’s important to remember to capture the ordinary moments rather than just the big events in our lives. #FamilyFun

7. March 29, 2017 / 7:51 am

I love London, my best friend lives there and I go down to visit as often as I can. We actually went to Greenwich last year in that exact spot! Looks like you had a lovely day #FamilyFun

8. aliduke79hotmailcom
    March 29, 2017 / 4:27 pm

What a lovely day, the sky looks so blue.
    #FamilyFun

9. March 29, 2017 / 7:56 pm

What a lovely way to reflect on family life – and I love these kinds of posts, blogging can definitely be for you but still enjoyed by others! Gorgeous photos too, it does sound like a great place to live. My little guy has just started noticing daisies as well, it’s very sweet! #FamilyFun

10. March 29, 2017 / 10:15 pm

Ah glad you had a nice day. Yes I read Caties post too and it gave me a little reminder. It’s nice to capture some of the ordinary moments and remember them for what they are. I am awful for taking photos when I am and hadn’t really thought about it taking me away from the moment. Perhaps I should be a little more mindful of this going forward. Thanks for joining us at #familyfun

11. March 31, 2017 / 10:40 am

That sounds like a lovely family day out. I haven’t taken my kids to Greenwich yet, nor been for years myself. Definitely need to add it to the list. I agree that taking too many photos can lessen your enjoyment of the moment too. Thanks for linking up to #EatSleepBlogRT. Hope to see you again next week. xx

12. April 2, 2017 / 1:17 pm

When I read this post it actually brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for reading my post and I am so glad that it had such a positive effect on you! I absolutely love how you have brought mindfulness into this post like when you said you wouldn’t have stopped to look at the daisies, I really feel that my children help me to be more mindful too. Thank you for linking up to #PointShoot 📸 Your support is amazing! 💙

• April 2, 2017 / 9:24 pm

Ah that’s such a sweet comment Catie – I’m so pleased you liked the post. Thank you and thank you for being such a fantastic role model in the blogging community. xx

13. susielhawes
    April 2, 2017 / 3:21 pm

Wow looks a beautiful day! I love Greenwich, it’s really nice. I know what you mean about taking your phone out to take photos.. I feel like this a lot but then it’s kind of a necessity of blogging! #FamilyFun