Wicked Wednesdays #11: Mealtimes – the ultimate test of Mindfulness

Family mealtimes – you’ve got to love them….right?!

Pre-kids I had a romantic vision of special times sat together round the tea table chatting, laughing even.

Pah – how wrong was I?  Firstly, I find I rarely sit down.  I am up and down like a blinking yo-yo for numerous reasons that I can’t quite recall right now as mealtimes are such a blur.

Secondly, I often find that if I am laughing it’s because I’m slightly hysterical and the old adage of ‘if you don’t laugh, you’ll cry’ could never be truer.

Basically there are lots of moments during mealtimes at your place when my attempts at approaching life mindfully  is tested to the limit.

Sometimes I succeed in remaining calm by ‘connecting with my breath’ in the mindful way (maybe a bit like this 7/11 exercise).

At other times I try to remind myself to be empathetic.  For example I try hard to empathise with twin 1 – keeping in mind that her language is not yet as well developed as her siblings’ and so the only way to tell me when she’s finished her food is to tip the plate upside down and throw food all over the floor!

One day last week it was getting so tricky keeping the twins at the table (yes they are like little Houdini’s at climbing out of their high-chairs) that we gave them some props.  The books quickly got disregarded but the sunglasses were a hit!

Ok, so I could beat myself up about ‘sloppy parenting’ but Mindfulness is about being non-judgmental and showing oneself some self-compassion so I think I’ll just give myself a break, enjoy the fun and treasure these lovely photos that I was able to take!

How are mealtimes at your place?

Any top tips for making mealtimes less stressful?

My Wicked Wednesdays posts are inspired by the fabulous Brummy Mummy of 2 and her encouragement of us to share‘real’ family photos in her Wicked Wednesdays linky.

brummymummyof2
Two Tiny Hands
Diary of an imperfect mum
Diary of An Imperfect Mum

1. November 2, 2016 / 3:40 pm

Ugh. Mealtimes with toddlers is always such a challenge and a real test of my patience. Well done on just embracing it. Was any food consumed? LOL

2. November 2, 2016 / 8:37 pm

Haha well done for the props idea, I would never have thought of that! Great photos #wickedwednesdays

3. November 3, 2016 / 10:45 am

You shouldn’t beat yourself up as this looks like a lovely meal time compared with ours! The props look fab – you are very brave! It’s so hard to keep calm when they are lobbing food and standing up in their high chairs….I think it’s great your sticking to being mindful (I’m not very good at it 😩) #wickedwednesday

• November 3, 2016 / 10:08 pm

Hee hee yes lobbed food isn’t conducive to a calm teatime! Thanks for commenting x

4. November 3, 2016 / 11:24 am

Oh, I’m loving those glasses. Having gone through the ‘I want to feed myself’ stage with my grandson and got the spoon work good, he now finds he is incapable of doing the job and wants to be fed again. Aarrgghhh!
    #familyfun

• November 3, 2016 / 10:07 pm

Oh yes they do tend to regress at some points don’t they!? Thanks for commenting. x

5. November 3, 2016 / 1:15 pm

Gorgeous photos, I say whatever works! Toddlers and mealtimes don’t mix so if you can find a way to laugh about it that can only be a good thing x
    #FamilyFun

6. November 3, 2016 / 9:12 pm

Oh I had that romantic vision of meal times too. Suffice to say it has fallen short. Like you I never sit somebody always wants something and I am up more than I am down. I say whatever gets you through and gets food into the little ones. You will find no judgment from me and nothing but compassion from a fellow mum who will try anything to keep the kids at the table! Thanks for sharing at #familyfun

• November 3, 2016 / 10:04 pm

Ah thanks so much for the kind comment and sharing the fact that we’re all in a similar boat – solitarity sister! x

7. November 3, 2016 / 11:22 pm

Mealtimes round mine are messy but not awful. I have a tot who likes to throw his food and laugh!

#ABloggingGoodTime

• November 4, 2016 / 2:05 pm

Ah laughter is no bad thing… though possibly a little infuriating! x

8. November 4, 2016 / 3:17 pm

Aww with the one child our meal times are quite romantic! We get up and down a lot but essentially we do get through a meal time happily together! Love the pictures with the glasses, very cute! Thanks for linking up to #FamilyFun

9. Accidental Hipster Mum
    November 7, 2016 / 8:05 pm

I’ve already stopped by but just checking in again for #EatSleepBlogRT

10. November 9, 2016 / 2:46 pm

They vary here – all i will say is we have a floor mat and tiled flooring for a reason! Loving the sunnies though!
    Thanks for linking to #ablogginggoodtime

11. November 12, 2016 / 7:04 pm

Ha ha I too had the fairy tale dream of family meal times – alas I was so deluded before I had kids! Now they are just a daily trial that has to be endured 🙂 #eatsleepblogrt