What to do if the end of Daylight Saving Time feels like the end of the world*

This weekend Twitter was awash with tweets about the end of British summertime.  Mostly, it must be said, by parents lamenting the lack of a lie-in.  Some of my favourites were:

However, there is another reason why some of us may complain about the clocks going back.   It’s only since practicing Mindfulness that I have really tapped into how, if I’m not careful, my mood can shift into a downward spiral this month that isn’t improved until I am distracted by the excitement of dusting off the Christmas decorations and perusing the Boots and Marks & Spencers festive catalogues in early December.

So what is it about this weekend that brings the feeling of impending doom for some of us?

Especially, when according to this article the adjustment of ‘gaining’ an hour with the end of Daylight Saving Time is meant to be much easier for the body than in the spring when we ‘lose’ the hour.

I suppose for me, like for others, it’s the knowledge that for the next few months (essentially until I see those first snowdrops of spring  – a sight which I cherish every year) there is less chance of getting outside, not necessarily because of the cold but because of the darkness.  Let’s be honest:

• Going to, and returning from, work in the dark is depressing.
  • Not being able to squeeze in a trip to the park after the babies’ lunchtime nap is demoralising.
  • Having no chance to get out for a run in daylight in the week is disheartening.

However, there must be some positives to the clocks going back.  So, this year it’s time to shift my perception of November and be mindful of the ‘woe is me’ rut that I can find myself in if I’m not careful.

To kick off this new approach to the end of Daylight Saving Time and on the last official day of British Summertime we spent a wonderful time at the North Kent coast.  It was just the reminder needed that we don’t have to stop visiting our favourite places just because it’s no longer ‘peak season’.

Therefore it’s time to embrace November by:

• making the most of the fact that lots of people are in hibernation mode and therefore some of the most wonderful places are much quieter to visit than in the warmer months
  • enjoying the fact that a top TV programme –Strictly Come Dancing, is reaching it’s climax and is adding extra sparkle to those Saturday evenings in
  • snuggling in front of the fire and reading some great blogs and books.  I still have a few books to read that I wrote about here (as well as some new ones too!) and am always finding great new blogs which I would like to add to my ‘gratitude blog log‘ when I next update it.

So I will be mindful to monitor my thoughts and feelings this coming month to help to try and stop the downward spiral.  As the charity MIND states on their website :

“Most of us are affected by the change in seasons – it is normal to feel more cheerful and energetic when the sun is shining and the days are longer, or to find that you eat more or sleep longer in winter. “

However, if any of us feel like we have our very own ‘portable black cloud’ following us it would be worth finding more out about SAD (Seasonal Affected Disorder).  For information about symptoms and treatment click here.

I’d be really interested to know if it’s just me that finds November the most difficult month of the year.

Or maybe you could tell me what you are looking forward to about the coming months?

*not REALLY I exaggerate  – but if it just makes you feel a little bit more grumpy than usual…

Two Tiny Hands
My Random Musings
One Messy Mama
Mr and Mrs T Plus Three
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

1. November 1, 2016 / 8:45 am

honestly, here in India, we don’t have the ‘daylight savings’ time thing. We never turn back the clock and while I have studied about it in school, I never really considered the implications of it and how it would affect you all.

Godyears.net

2. Kate Orson
    November 1, 2016 / 11:51 am

I must be that ‘no parent ever’! My daughter is such a night owl, and I was so excited about the clocks going back because she now wakes naturally for Kindergarten! I’m looking forward to a trip to London to see my sister – am going by train so will have the chance to get lots of reading done, and generally it hasn’t been too bad here, the sun is so bright it makes up for the cooler temperatures. January is by far the worst month of me. November I don’t find so bad, as it’s also my birthday!

• November 1, 2016 / 9:35 pm

Ooo yes I understand where you’re coming from about January too! You lucky thing having a daughter that wakes naturally for pre-school – we are struggling here at the mo! x

3. November 2, 2016 / 4:19 pm

I agree that it’s easy to be affected negatively by the darker, longer nights. I have a clock that slowly lights up to wake me in the morning and it has had a very positive effect. I also take solace in Strictly and the coming along of Christmas and Christmas get-togethers! #familyfun

• November 3, 2016 / 10:10 pm

Yay – pleased to find another Strictly fan… thanks for commenting x

4. November 2, 2016 / 7:27 pm

I tend to struggle with this time of the year too. The dark just makes me want to hibernate. Wake me up when Spring is here. #GlobalBlogging

5. November 2, 2016 / 7:27 pm

6. November 2, 2016 / 9:02 pm

November is like the autumn switch being flicked to off. I love autumn so I do always feel a little sad, however I have really been enjoying seeing glimmers of Christmas lights here and there. Plus all the lovely snuggley hats scarfs and jumpers in the shops. Its turned so cold here in the East of England so feels really like winter has begun. I’m totally with you on still going on outdoor trips. My husband is a kitesurfer and will still go to the beach in January when there is snow on the ground!
    (I would be at home by the fire however!)
    That was a really lovely post thank you for sharing,
    #globalblogging

• November 3, 2016 / 10:09 pm

Ah so pleased you liked the post and are finding some solace in the snuggly knitwear and some Xmas sparkle….. thanks for commenting x

7. November 3, 2016 / 6:50 pm

Hello, I have been reading lots of mindfulness books recently. It’s wonderful. I agree, I find November a bit of a nothing month especially as Christmas season seems to begin earlier and earlier every year. I find it stressful because we don’t earn a huge amount so Christmas is tight plus it’s our middle child’s and my mother’s birthday in December too arrgghhhh So yes, November isn’t great! Lovely pictures of the seaside, looks beautiful x

• November 3, 2016 / 10:05 pm

Ah so pleased you’re finding mindfulness helpful but sorry November is tough for you too. Hope it’s not too bad. Take care x

8. November 3, 2016 / 8:42 pm

Love the memes!! Made me chuckle, I too dreaded the extra hour, as it only meant my little one thought the day should start at 4am cue tired mummy!
    You have however inspired me to try and be more mindful about how I think about these coming months of winter. I’ve often had troubles with seasonal gloominess, but I think this year I’ll do my best to catch the daylight when it’s there and enjoy the changing seasons and the great excuse for cozying up with hot chocolate! Xx

• November 3, 2016 / 10:05 pm

Ooooo yes hot choc – great idea :-). Thanks for the nice comment. xx

9. November 3, 2016 / 9:41 pm

Ah what a great post! I am definitely going to use some of these tips and try and be mindful of the things that make me happiest during the cold months. I love being by the fire and reading a book, will have to check out your list of books as well because I’m currently on the hunt for a really good book! Thanks so much for sharing with #GlobalBlogging!

• November 3, 2016 / 10:03 pm

Thank you – ooo yes I need to get reading again – I hope you find a book you like. xx

10. November 3, 2016 / 11:04 pm

Ah the time change. Here, in the US, we don’t change our clocks until the weekend and I am strangely looking forward to it. If for nothing, then, just to see how my kids deal with it. Spring has traditionally been the more challenging one for us as you rightly noted. With a baby this year too, I am more curious to see how she handles it, than worry about it (or maybe I am redirecting my dread in an unconscious way). What a timely post. #familyfun

• November 3, 2016 / 11:19 pm

Ah it’s nice that you’re feeling positive about it – good luck 🙂 x

11. randommusings29
    November 4, 2016 / 12:58 pm

The clocks moving around annoys me rather than depresses me. Why can’t we just leave them alone? Time is only a man made concept anyway so why mess with it even more!
    Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes 🙂
    Debbie

• November 4, 2016 / 2:04 pm

Good point – I’d never thought of it like that before…. totally agree. 🙂

12. November 4, 2016 / 3:24 pm

We were so busy this weekend we sort of missed the clocks changing and it didn’t really effect us at all. It was weird I knew I was going to get an extra hour but knew robert would probably wreck that. It was good. The dark weather does seem to get me down but I have really enjoyed having my RObert and the autumnal feel outside recently. We’ve headed off to the park wrapped up warm just before dusk for a little bit. It is just so nice. It’ll soon be December and we will have all the lights twinkling everywhere too! Thanks for linking up to #FamilyFun

• November 6, 2016 / 3:01 pm

You do seem to lead a lovely and blessed life – maybe we need to move to move to where you are 😉 x

13. November 5, 2016 / 10:33 pm

It’s so easy to feel glum about the short days isn’t it, thanks for the positive spin. I do always enjoy the reduced sense of pressure you put on yourself to get out and do things though, there’s something nice about hibernating in a cosy house listening to the rain on the windows! #kcacols

• November 6, 2016 / 2:59 pm

Yes – I see what you mean about the reduced sense of pressure – good point. Thanks for commenting x

14. November 6, 2016 / 7:27 am

Yeah I must say I am defineitly one of those grumps at this time of year. I hate the clock going back and the dark nights and the hot I don’t get lol. But you’re right I probably shouldn’t focus on all the things I don’t like and be a little more mindful of the positives to help myself. You do make a good point there is much better TV in winter hehehe. Thank you for linking up with us at #familyfun

• November 6, 2016 / 2:58 pm

Yay for the fab telly :-). Thanks for the comment. x

15. November 6, 2016 / 2:27 pm

When the weather is dull and gray I find this time of year difficult but when it’s one of those bright blue sky, crisp air kind of days I love it.
    #TheList

• November 6, 2016 / 3:02 pm

Totally agree – it was one of those days today – beautiful! x

16. November 6, 2016 / 4:23 pm

I’m not saying that I like winter / the cold or when it gets dark so early, but I must say, so far I’ve noticed how I enjoy it a lot more to cuddle up with the children after school. They come back, have a snack, and it’s already dark, so we take it as an opportunity to cuddle up on the sofa until dinner time and love it! Plus, it’s a lot easier to put them to bed! #KCACOLS

• November 6, 2016 / 9:17 pm

Ah that sounds lovely! Yes, snuggles on the sofa are the best 🙂 Thanks for commenting x

17. November 6, 2016 / 4:53 pm

I dread the clocks changing as it usually coincides with a drop in mood for me. I am also trying to be positive and looking for good TV dramas, some great reads and lots of candles! #KCACOLS

• November 6, 2016 / 9:17 pm

Good plan – I definitely need to get into reading REAL books again – hopefully this winter will give me that opportunity. Thanks for commenting. x

18. November 6, 2016 / 7:22 pm

I’m trying my best to appreciate the cosy feeling of a dark night, lighting candles and the fire, and making the most of daylight at the weekends by getting out and about. The evenings do feel so short don’t they! x #KCACOLS

• November 6, 2016 / 9:16 pm

A girl after my own heart – the fire and candles are also very comforting to me too and we had a lovely day out today in the sunshine. Thanks for commenting. x

19. November 6, 2016 / 9:49 pm

You are so right and I “suffer” from too much darkness as well. But as a paradox, I also love autumn. I end up combining these two by spending more time inside, reading more, finally enjoying my candles and thinking about the magical Christmas xx #KCACOLS

• November 8, 2016 / 9:30 pm

I know what you mean – I love autumn too. Good to combine! Thanks for commenting x

20. aliduke79hotmailcom
    November 6, 2016 / 10:43 pm

My kids are older so they love that extra hour of sleep lol. It is a bit depressing it seeming to be dark so much of the time, but snuggling up with the family on cold nights makes it worth it.
    #KCACOLS

• November 8, 2016 / 9:29 pm

Yep snuggling is definitely a positive! x

21. madelinelittlejohns
    November 7, 2016 / 7:44 pm

I actually quite like November, probably because it feels like a lovely lead up to Christmas, and I find the dark evenings quite cosy! x #KCACOLS

• November 8, 2016 / 9:29 pm

Ooo yes it’s good to embrace the cosiness! x

22. November 9, 2016 / 11:06 am

hehe I saw so many memes on twitter and fb last week! I love the idea of snuggling up and reading now that the nights are drawing in. it can be super cosy with candles 🙂 Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday!

• November 9, 2016 / 9:50 pm

Ah thank you – yes candles do make it cosy xx

23. November 4, 2017 / 7:14 am

Aside from the fact my son likes to wake at 5:30am now the clock have gone back, I do quite like it as it means Christmas is coming! #thesatsesh

24. November 4, 2017 / 8:20 am

Despite all of the horrible things you mentioned which I totally agree with I love November and December. Lots of birthdays and Christmas make it all exciting. It’s January I struggle with! #thesatsesh

November 5, 2017 / 8:49 pm

Oh yes January can be tricky too. So nice you have nice things at this time of year xx

25. November 4, 2017 / 12:11 pm

I struggle with it at this time of year but I love cosy evenings and striking sunsets and sunrises. I always try for a lunchtime walk to try and keep my mood up #thesatsesh

November 5, 2017 / 8:48 pm

Oooh yes a walk at lunchtime is a really good idea. xx

26. November 4, 2017 / 12:52 pm

I agree, the lack of natural light and bad weather make it hard. I have to get out with the kids at least once a day otherwise I feel like a caged animal. Having literally less hours in the day(light) makes this tricky, and stresses me out, which it shouldn’t really. I should try and focus on the positives like cosy days in etc! #thesatsesh

November 5, 2017 / 8:47 pm

Oh yes it does make it hard to get out in the afternoon if a little one still naps! Take care and good luck! xx

27. November 4, 2017 / 1:41 pm

We turn our clocks back tonight and I am terrified thinking of the time that I will have to get up to feed my newborn. But I’ll be positive and say it’s just extra time to squeeze in snuggles!

November 5, 2017 / 8:46 pm

Awww love the mindset – good luck! xx

28. November 4, 2017 / 5:57 pm

I don’t get daylight savings even after 31 years on the planet! sounds like it isn’t an issue for you though! #thesatsesh

29. November 5, 2017 / 12:57 am

I feel the same way as you. I hate the ‘Fall Back’ and the darkness. Ugh. I cried like a baby this morning – that must be why! Dread! I must reread this post often in the coming months. Thank you! #thesatsesh xoxo

November 5, 2017 / 8:38 pm

Awwwww Lisa – you take care. xx

30. November 5, 2017 / 5:20 am

I much perfer the darker evenings, feels more calmer to me X #thesatsesh

31. November 5, 2017 / 7:08 am

The dark mornings and evenings definitely affect my mood and leave us all feeling a little more sluggish but that fully the whole clock change thing has never been an issue with my children (touch wood). One thing I do like about this time of year is getting wrapped up in hats and scarves, and I love taking the dogs out when the air feels crisp and fresh. I feel much more energised after those walks. Mindset can definitely work wonders, so I choose to focus on those things. Also, when I was younger I used to love the dark mornings because it meant Christmas was getting close and I can still remember that feeling of excitement, so I try to channel that as much as possible too x
    #Thesatsesh

November 5, 2017 / 8:37 pm

Really good points Alana – mindset is so important! Thanks so much for the thoughtful comment. xx

32. November 6, 2017 / 2:26 pm

You are def not the only one who dreads the winte

• November 6, 2017 / 2:29 pm

SORRY! I had a one year old just submit the comment before I finished writing. Ever happen to you before? Lol.

You are def not the only one who dreads the winter months, and it is the very reasons you stated. Getting up and going to work in the dark, returning home to darkness, and not being able to leave the house because its nippy and taking a child out in the cold isn’t always wise. But you know, now that we have kids, we have decided that we are not going to have cabin fever on weekends, we have planned an indoor outing for each weekend. Children museums, theater shows, and going to see holiday decor and tree lightings in December. And like you mentioned, the summer attractions are less crowded and can be pretty fun.

Wishing you joy this winter! #thesatsesh

November 8, 2017 / 8:07 pm

Awww sounds like you have a good plan – thank you and wishing you joy too! xx

33. November 6, 2017 / 8:35 pm

#thesatsesh we have an alarm clock that acts like the morning sun when Autumn packs it away, sunlight is so essential for a boost in ‘living’ but i agree it isn’t all doom and gloom…jumping in crunchy leaves it amazing! lol

34. November 10, 2017 / 8:25 pm

I certainly have noticed the wish to hibernate in past years except for those times I was pregnant. #thesatsesh