Did you know you can learn Mindfulness from a Disney Pixar film?

So in theory my October half-term post should really be about enjoying the autumnal colours in the park and the feeling of kicking the leaves while we walk.  Don’t get me wrong there is plenty of that going on in our family outings at the moment but when we’re all tired out from the fresh air and mindful walks there’s nothing better than snuggling on the sofa and watching a ‘feel-good’ film.  Next time this happens in your house may I suggest the 2015 Pixar animation ‘Inside Out’ (official US trailer here)?

insie out.jpg

Recently we decided we needed a quiet afternoon in and set about watching the movie.

You may well already know that it’s a film about Riley, a girl who goes through the upheaval of having to move from one area of the USA to another. Obviously it explores all the challenges that she faces as a result of this.  So far this sounds like a pretty run-of-the-mill family film.  However, as we watched it I couldn’t help but grab my notebook and start to make a few notes as it struck me how some of the principles of Mindfulness permeated it.  It appears others have suggested similar with very interesting articles from Mindful magazine and also Huffington Post on the film and its lessons.

There were undeniably some very mindful moments.  You see, for the benefit of those who haven’t already seen the film yet lots of it is set inside Riley’s head and the main characters are the emotions of joy, sadness, disgust, anger and fear.

Disney-Pixar-Inside-Out.jpg

Whist watching the film there were lots of opportunities to chat to our 6 year old son about how our emotions come about and it’s definitely a film that helps to introduce some of the key features of Mindfulness to pre-teens and older. For instance:

1.  In the end (spoiler alert ;-)) the character ‘Joy’ recognises that sadness is a natural emotion that cannot be forever avoided and that it is healthy to acknowledge this. This links very well to the idea of how healthy it is to ‘just be’ with our emotions when being mindful and to be accepting of how we feel in the present moment whether this is deemed a positive or a negative state of mind.

2. Throughout lots of the film ‘Joy’ is trying to stop ‘Sadness’ from touching Riley’s memories and tainting them but eventually there is a realisation that just as our emotions can be complex and mixed so our memories of events can be too…. and that’s okay.  In Mindfulness sessions people are sometimes encouraged to label their thoughts and feelings in order to be more aware of them and how complex they can be.  The film highlights to us all that our emotions are often not simply “cut and dried”.

3. There is a moment in the film when ‘Sadness’ listens to Bing Bong an old toy of Riley’s. Instead of trying to ‘fix’ his problems she simply sits with him and listens attentively showing empathy for him by saying “that must have been hard”.  This small part of the film is a big insight into what a powerful tool empathy can be and how important it is to help us to connect with others.

4. The inclusion of the characters ‘Fear’, ‘Disgust’ and ‘Anger’ in the film also emphasise what happens to us when our natural ‘Fight or Flight’ response kick in.  Mindfulness teachers often encourage people to try to observe the physical sensations that are connected with the ‘Fight or Flight’ response so that they may choose to respond rather than react to a certain situation which they have found themselves in.

5. There are times when there is a fairly frenetic pace to the film showing the different emotions vying to be ‘top dog’ at that particular moment and showing how quickly one can take over from the other.  This again is very in tune with the Mindfulness idea that emotions, feelings and thoughts are temporary phenomena which come and go and being aware of this can help us be more accepting of them.

Anyway, the overriding theme of the story is to accept sadness and to try not to allow the suppression of the more negative emotions to occur in either ourselves or others.

Whilst watching it I was reminded how I always hate being ‘shushed’ or told ‘don’t cry’ when I am tearful.  Why the hell shouldn’t I cry when I need to?  It’s basically a physical response to our stJust be.pngate of mind at that moment. Luckily, with books like Kate Orson’s ‘Tears Heal’ reinforcing these messages that it’s okay and actually beneficial to cry (and be sad from time to time), things are slowly changing and parents are understanding the need to allow our children to just be with their sadness sometimes.

However, this can be a hard message to pass on to our children where many cultures still don’t think people ought to cry, especially men (as an aside thank goodness for Ore in Strictly – he could be changing things for the better in this regard!), so using ‘Inside Out’ as an impetus to chat about these things, and as an excuse to enjoy some popcorn and cuddles together too, is a good way to spend a little downtime this autumn break.

If you have seen ‘Inside Out’ before I’d love to hear your thoughts.

If you haven’t watched the movie yet let me know if this post has spurred you on to do so!

Single Mum Speaks
One Messy Mama
Tammymum
Diary of an imperfect mum
Mr and Mrs T Plus Three

1. Kate Orson
    October 25, 2016 / 7:21 pm

thanks so much for the mention! I love the message of this film. My daughter got really scared in some parts of Inside Out, (when parts of the mind started crumbling) so we never made it to the end. I skipped your paragraphs about spoilers as I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out one day. We did get little figures of all the Inside Out characters which are fun for roleplaying feelings!

• October 25, 2016 / 8:55 pm

No worries – what a lovely idea to role play the feelings with the characters – I think I will have to invest in some of these! x

2. October 25, 2016 / 10:07 pm

Lovely – I really try to talk about feelings with my little one and letting it all out. Looking forward to when he’s old enough to watch this as sounds great. #globalblogging

3. mackenzieglanville
    October 26, 2016 / 7:25 am

I have seen the film although I don’t think I paid enough attention as I was in and out of the room, this makes me want to watch it again! My 12 year old is going through a lot of mixed emotions right now and I tell her too that is is OK to cry when she needs to let it out. I love mindfulness, it really did change my life a lot two years ago. #globalblogging

• October 26, 2016 / 9:43 am

Thanks for the lovely comment and it’s great that you’re giving this message to your 12 year old. So pleased you love mindfulness too. x

4. joysofamum
    October 26, 2016 / 2:11 pm

fab post. I love using this film to teach about emotions. They really do need to be experienced! x #schoolsout

• October 26, 2016 / 6:20 pm

Thank you – film definitely helps the kids with these serious messages. x

5. min1980
    October 26, 2016 / 2:22 pm

Really interesting to hear that mindfulness plays such a big part in this film. I only know the basics of mindfulness but it sounds like a really useful tool. Thanks for sharing with #SchoolsOut

• October 26, 2016 / 6:19 pm

Very useful indeed – thanks for commenting. x

6. October 26, 2016 / 3:17 pm

Sounds like there are a lot of messages in there. I often find that with Pixar films. I haven’t seen this film but it’s on my ‘Want to Watch’ list. Your post has made me want to watch this even more! #FamilyFun

• October 26, 2016 / 6:17 pm

Oooo I know Pixar are definitely good at this. Pleased the post has made you want to watch the film even more – I don’t think you’ll regret the time you spend watching it. x

7. twotinyhands
    October 27, 2016 / 6:36 am

Definitely a good thing to teach kids. Crying is okay! I haven’t watched this movie and I want to now! This could be your opportunity to explore all the Disney films for mindfulness… A spin off series!! Thanks for linking up to #familyfun

• October 27, 2016 / 10:28 pm

Ha ha – yes my eldest would love that 🙂 x

8. October 27, 2016 / 5:34 pm

I loved watching this movie and found it very thought provoking. It my kids a while to enjoy it, but they are rather young. It’s great for conversation though! Wouldn’t it be lovely if teachers used this movie as a talking point in school! SO many kids need to hear this message! Thanks for linking to #Globalblogging! x

• October 27, 2016 / 10:21 pm

Yes – it would be lovely to see more of this stuff shown and discussed in schools. Thanks so much for commenting. x

9. October 28, 2016 / 2:04 pm

I DVR’s this one a while back and have been waiting to watch it. Mine is five and I’m not sure that she would get the full benefit from watching yet, but its on my list #blogginggoodtime

• October 28, 2016 / 11:06 pm

Yep definitely one for a couple of years time. Thanks for commenting.

10. October 28, 2016 / 10:27 pm

This sounds like a really brilliant film for kids with some great lessons about emotions and how it is ok to feel all of them. I haven’t heard of it before and I think my children are a little young but I would defiantly be keen to introduce them to it when I think they could appreciate it. Thank you for sharing it with us at #FamilyFun xx

• October 28, 2016 / 11:05 pm

Ooo yes I think it is definitely one for you to keep in mind for your’s when they are a little older – can really get lots out of it then. Thanks for commenting xx

11. October 29, 2016 / 5:33 am

I’m going to have to watch this movie this weekend. #ablogginggoodtime

12. October 29, 2016 / 7:08 pm

Wow what a powerful post. I have to say that I try my best to remind the kids that it’s ok to be sad and to recognise it as an emotion. Very interesting topic indeed! Thanks so much for joining us. Hope to see you next time! #SchoolsOut.

• October 30, 2016 / 7:48 pm

Ah thank you – so pleased you found this interesting. Yes I’ll definitely be a regular on this linky! x

13. October 30, 2016 / 9:25 am

We definetly need to watch this film. It’s great to discuss emotions with kids from a young age and If it comes in a Disney film all the better #fortheloveofBLOG

• October 30, 2016 / 7:47 pm

Yes – definitely – Disney is so captivating to the little ones it’s so easy for them to watch… x

14. November 2, 2016 / 12:48 pm

Really interesting post – I loved inside out it was a completely wonderful film that made me cry but had such an important message!
    Thanks for linking to #ablogginggoodtime

15. November 8, 2016 / 12:26 pm

Beautiful post, and one that I think is really important for children to “just be” with their emotions. They need to understand that as humans we experience a range of different emotions, we can’t be happy all the time, and it is alright to cry if we need to. I hope that I manage to have the same relationship with my daughter as you do with your children, and can easily talk about emotions one day. Thanks so linking up at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

• November 8, 2016 / 9:26 pm

Ah Claire that’s such a lovely comment – thank you so much. We certainly don’t get it right all the time here but do try our best to help them be accepting of these ‘big emotions’. Thanks again xx

16. October 21, 2017 / 8:08 am

I’ve seen it and thought it was good. I think there’s some short film versions too with different characters. But R is a bit too young at the moment. I look forward to watching it with her when she’s a bit bigger. The bit about where you say it’s ok to cry is so important. I can’t remember at which point of adulthood I realised this but since I’ve given in and let myself cry certain things out I find I am able to move on so much quicker. #thesatsesh

17. October 21, 2017 / 9:06 am

It’s such a great film and really brilliant way of showing children it’s ok to express emotions. Brilliant post as always XX

18. October 21, 2017 / 10:16 am

Oh I love this film on so many levels it is amazing. We used clips from it when we did our brain unit in year 1 and my son (autistic) found it really useful to help identify emotions too. #thesatsesh

19. October 22, 2017 / 5:49 am

Beautifully said. I also loved watching this movie, and I think you can learn a lot from it. Thanks for sharing. #thesatsesh

20. October 22, 2017 / 12:15 pm

We’ve not send this yet , it’s on our list . I think we’ll pencil it in for half term ,sounds a lovely ,thoughtful movie!! #thesatsesh

21. October 22, 2017 / 8:28 pm

I loved this movie and applaud the discussion of emotions and children. I was not allowed to have feelings as a kid. I was either tired, hungry, or great as a kid. Nothing in between. By my thirties, I had no vacabulary to deal with a severe depression and eating disorder… Short story, all is well and we teach our girls to feel and honor their emotions. Great rebiew! #thesatsesh xoxo

October 25, 2017 / 10:07 pm

I’m so pleased all is well now and you are such a good rolemodel to your girls – mwah xx

22. October 23, 2017 / 8:44 pm

#thesatsesh – confession I skipped the spoiler alert because I STILL HAVEN’T WATCHED this epic film? I feel ashamed and like I don’t know me anymore, however with mindfulness in my heart and the winter months looming I will sit down with the boys and have a home cinema evening! Feeling inspire 🙂

October 25, 2017 / 10:06 pm

Oooooh – enjoy! xx

23. October 25, 2017 / 8:01 pm

We haven’t watched the film yet but it sounds intriguing. #thesatsesh

24. October 27, 2017 / 11:40 am

Love inside out and I definitely think it’s a good film to watch to start a discussion about emotions with our kids. I love how it shows how complex our minds and emotions are xx #thesatsesh